clausa normalis 'Jilin' X Dostoyevsky

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

I mentioned on a previous topic about using pollen from Dostoyevsky on clausa normalis and ending up with a lot of them surviving. Here are some.
Three clumps in baskets across the middle of the photo. The large plain green near the middle is a weedling/volunteer (looks like a fortunei type). Others in the frame - Lemon Lime at the bottom, Forbidden Fruit right edge (new), tibae top left corner, rectifolia 'Nishiki' mid-left edge (a fallen leaf - the plant is out of frame - only went in there this season), Darwin's Standard top edge a little right - this is the only original surviving plant in this section that was planted in 2010 - the space had problems with root competion, chipmunks/voles - don't know how this plant is still here.
clausa normalis 'Jilin' X Dostoyevsky - July 21, 2018
clausa normalis 'Jilin' X Dostoyevsky - July 21, 2018
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: clausa normalis 'Jilin' X Dostoyevsky

Post by Tigger »

Should have interesting blooms, right? Dostoyevsky isn't in Hosta Library or Hugo's Database, but I seem to recall it has dark flowers.

David
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I posted it here - it's in the index
I'm guessing that you won't be able to tell the difference.
The clauses color will just dominate
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
waldo
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by waldo »

Ed was kind enough to share some of these seeds with me, I am posting a picture of my darkest flower to date. There are actually two seedling in the container, the second one is just putting up a scape. Ed you are right the clausa normalis dominates the flower shape and color. I did have one flower last summer and it was a clausa normalis look alike.
Attachments
And the flower
And the flower
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

That is a nice flower - A lot darker than clausa.
Is there some color in the transparent edge of the sepal? My eyes are picking up something there.
The color seems to go the way to edge of the petal.
New Topic Post Reply