Seedling variability

Want to share and learn about Hosta hybridizing and seed starting and growing? Then this is the place. Also check out our annual seed exchange held in late fall and winter.

Moderator: redcrx

Regcall1
USDA Zone: 4

Seedling variability

Post by Regcall1 »

Hi all

First time posting and just wanted some input from other hybridizers. I bought some seeds online that have a very tracked and extensive lineage. Many of the seedlings show extreme phenotypic traits with in each lots that I bought. Is this normal? Within the same lot of seeds some have seiboldiana traits, tardinana traits and ventracosa traits. The blue waxy bloom has been variable as well, going from a blue to a shiny green leaf with no bloom. Also leaf shape and size have been very variable as well. I know genetics are variable but it just seems extreme. This kind of leads to my point of how far does everyone track their plants lineage and what ways have you all use to keep documentation? Also does it do me any good to track lineage on these seedlings due to the extreme variations. How would I ever guess what these plants could throw for seedlings?

Thanks Ryan
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Seedling variability

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

I would think that if you have such a huge range of variability in the seedlings that they weren't labeled very well when you bought them. Yes, you will see quite a bit of variability within a batch, but they should all still have some similar traits such as leaf shape and vein space even if the color varies. Later you should see flower similarities. If none of those things match then I wouldn't really trust the parentage given when you bought the seeds.

But if you get something interesting then parentage really doesn't matter that much. Lots of very popular hostas were registered as unknown parentage.
druff

Re: Seedling variability

Post by druff »

most hosta are hybrids so you will get some variation. over time you will want to study the lines to get you where you want to go. i have alot of it memorized so i can identify traits as i see them. and thus remember what i was after at the time.

i use google docs to record some crosses. others i just follow the mother plant and layer multiple pollen on a single flower. so there is no definitive pollen donor when there is competition. its a trade off of knowing the exact donor versus greater pod set. i generally have a goal. for example if i'm going for blushers i tend use only other blushers that have started from a single source but amplified thru back and forth crosses.

many people hate this idea of unknown on either side of the parent. but they can live their bean counter lives the way they see fit. i have one foot in art and the other in science. :???: would an artist document each brush stroke? too much planning can kill the vision. too much influence from other hybridizers produces sheep of the same color. LOL
do what works for you.

my only rule is don't make boring plants and release them to the public. ...give those to your family :D
New Topic Post Reply