My Avatar

Each member may create their own topic to this forum where they can then post plant lists, personal information pages, and/or photographs to share with other members. Please limit your entry to one topic per member. No selling allowed.
leafmould

My Avatar

Post by leafmould »

Hi everyone :P I have told this story before but have recieved a few inquiries lately so I thought this would be a good place to explain :P

My Avatar, a true story.

I have many elderly people on my road and in nice weather many can be found touring my garden. One bright and sunny morning I noticed that one of the old gals from up the road was walking through one of the hosta patches with a sad frown on her face.
Having known her as an overly cheerful thing, I went out to ask her if everything was O.K. She told me that tomorrow was the twentieth anniversary of her husband’s death and the driver’s bureau had revoked her license…she had no way to get to the grave yard to visit him….
The next day, after getting lost a few times and a couple of restroom stops, me and ‘are we there yet ‘ pull up in the cemetery’s parking lot. As we neared the monument I was floored by the sight of the biggest, bluest ‘Elegans’ I had ever seen. She told me her daughter had planted it there on the first anniversary of her husbands death.
She told me she was surprised to see it so big, as the care taker just mows it down when he cuts the grass…”Would you like a chunk ?’’ she asked…”Pardon?” I sez.
My husband loved the garden she told me and would be thrilled if I had a piece of this hosta in my garden….after looking around to make sure no one else was ‘visiting’ that day, I backed up the truck. Like all good gardeners I carry a large burlap tarp and a long handled round mouth shovel every where I go. I was sure glad the soil was sandy because it allowed me to push the round mouth deeply into the ground and get a BIG piece of root.
Flash forward five years….I’m in the garden hoeing some weeds around the ‘Elegans’ when I hit something glassy sounding ? one pull and they pop out.
I guess I dug a bit too deep OR they just ain’t plant’n them six feet any more ? so,
I made a nice memorial wreath, my Avatar.
The Mouldy one.
Attachments
DSCN2860.jpg
DSCN2851.jpg
Mr. Leafmould
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

OMGOSH!!!!!!! :eek: MR. LM! I had no idea where you avatar came from! Of course you never shared this with her right? Are you really serious? :o Do you think these were from his mouth seriously? :wink: Oh my!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
leafmould

Post by leafmould »

:|
Attachments
DSCN1753.jpg
Mr. Leafmould
Marietta

Post by Marietta »

Leafy, have no fear! I am certain that your find is not
from the deceased, but rather from some other hosta
gardener who took a good look at the large and impressive
Elegans and accidentally dropped his teeth (literally). He
was so excited that he didn't miss them until much later!
Now, doesn't that soothe your heart somewhat? Marietta
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

The bifocals I lost last summer are probably in a hosta garden somewhere. :D

Leafmould, is your pictorial signature generated automatically by a software program or do you add it yourself? It's usually (always?) in the same place and in a compatible color.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Liselotte

My Avatar

Post by Liselotte »

Oh mr. Leafmould! This is the best laugh I had all year! :lol: :lol: :lol:
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

Wishiwere mefinks we have to take our Leafy with a pinch of salt sometimes :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
Annika

Post by Annika »

..... or more like two or three pinches of salt in this case ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Annika
New Topic Post Reply