Old Coot's Page

Each member may create their own topic to this forum where they can then post plant lists, personal information pages, and/or photographs to share with other members. Please limit your entry to one topic per member. No selling allowed.
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Old Coot's Page

Post by oldcoot »

Hello, to most of you, to whom I am known as "The Old Coot" My real name is John and I live in Rock Hill in upstate South Carolina with an a asolutely adorable wife, that I love with all my heart, and who is MY best friend (and gardening financier).I came by my gardening "genes" from my Mother and Dad who could make ANTHING grow. Dad grew vegies for the family and Mother grew some of the most beautiful flowers I have ever seen. She love Calla Lilies, Iris, Coleus and Roses. She had a few Hosta, but at the time I didn't know what they were. Before she died I had the honor of spending a lot of time with her in her garden, and she helped me move many of her things to Rock Hill.

For most of my life I was a working Chemist in Industry, and Chemical Sales. We moved so much, that I really didn't have a lot of ime to spend on gardening. However when we cameto R.H. that all changed. I had to retire early because of medical problems which kept me from traveling, but not from growing flowers My Mother brought a lot of her Iris, Daylilies, and plants that I now know as Hosta and planted them for me.. We had a one acre lot, shaded, but lots of sunny places. I got into growing flowers with abandon . I added Daffodills, Tulips, Caladium, Coleus, Liliums Elephants Ears, and her Iris & Cannas. Every thing was looking good. But later that year she passed away, and my son and I moved 4 pickup trucks loads of Iris, Daylilies, Cannas and other assorted flower down to R.H.. We divided them up among the kids and they still look good in their yards. Her death created another problem though. We inherited a LOT of beautiful furniture that we had no place to put. We solved that, by selling our house (after I packed TRAYS of flowers to be planted when we got NEXT DOOR. We liked the area, lived on the end of the street, on top of a hill with plenty of flower space.I planted heavy that spring after we moved, All in the front yard in the open. The following year all lookedd great, and then the unthinkable happened. I got seriously ill with both heart and lungs problems. Stayed sick for nearl three years. In and out of the hospital, many times not knowing if the Old Coot was gonna make it. His dear sweet loving wife keep telling the Drs. he was, to go fix him. The last time I lost 70 pounds, and was unable to stand or walk when I got out. Had to use a walker for six months. That's when the Good Lord and the Old Coot had a heart to heart I promised HIM that when I got well (no deals asked) that I would try to plant the prettiest flower gardens in Rock Hill that I could, AND that is what I am trying to do. Ther're all HIS Flowers, The Old Coot is just the Gardner.I am now pretty much straight, with a pacemarker and a defibralater.I still have to use Oyygen at night, or in hot humid weather but going strong. And now you know more about the Old Coot than you ever wanted to know

When I firsst came to Perennial Nurseries, I was in search of Lilium Bulbs, and BOY did I get some great ones, I checked out the Forums, liked what I saw, dropped off some others and became a member here and here the OldCoot is... Years Later and liking it better every day.

Thank you Chris for allowing us to tell our story, and for being such a GREAT Host.

That Funny & Friendly Old Coot named John,
Last edited by oldcoot on Feb 24, 2007 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
oldcoot

Jusgt a little more

Post by oldcoot »

Last spring when a lot of my new flowers bloomed (planted by my friend Josh and a member of Hallsons in his own right ) I borrowed my daughters Camera when I found out mine was kaput and took and posted a lot of pictures of my flowers in the various forums last year and liked what I saw. I used to be heavy in to Photography in my younger days, but had to let it go because of poor health. My dear sweet loving wife liked my Flower pictures and for Christmas gave me a new 8 Meg/Pix Digi Cam. It did come with a price though. I couldn't buy any more flowers or bulb until this fall without her permission,(timing is every thing) in time for fall planting. But that was O.K., because we had such a horrid summer last year, I really don't know what survived it.

To sharpen my skill for photographing my flowers this spring & summer, I started photographing the Little Birds that inhabit the woods around my house and that I feed on my back deck. I also started looking seriously at my Squirrels for the first time, other than to say bad things to them for eating my Bird Seed.

As time progressed, I realized I had ressurected a talent that had lain dormant for a long time. That of Photographing Nature scenes. Thanks to Hallson's I had a place to show them and thanks to YOUR encouragement I now have another hobby.

I really appreciate all the nice comments you have made on my Bird and Squirrel pictures, and I hope that my work continues to please you.....I'll sure keep trying for you.

That Funny & Friendly Old Coot named John, Saying "Come on Spring" in just 46 more days....
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Marietta

Post by Marietta »

Dear Old Coot,

Bless that wonderful wife. I always say that it has taken
me 52 years to raise my husband to the level of perfection
that he now enjoys!

So you are finally into the squirrels....we too feed them
and the chipmunks as well as the birds. When people
crab about the squirrels I try to tell that that if they will
begin feeding them, they'll find out that it's just pure
energy that drives the squirrels, not any malicious intent
that people think of.

I am so glad that you made your "deal" with God, I am
certain that with his help you'll have that most beautiful
garden that you are working toward. Marietta
oldcoot

Tnaks a lot.........

Post by oldcoot »

Since taking pictures of them seriously (whenever we get any sunshine, whiich has not been often lately.) I have come to appreciate their ingenuity. I also have learned that if I keep a bowl of Black Sunflower Seeds on the deck, it seems to help keep them out of the feeders on the rail. I have watched them so much, that I can almost aticipate their next move. This lets me be "ready" when the action occurs.

Thank you and good luck to you too. If you haven't seen them yet, check out the wild life forum, under O.C.'s Squirrels. Got quite a few pictures of my neighbors postred there.
oldcoot

OC's Hosta Lists (as of noon 26 May 2007)

Post by oldcoot »

Up to date List of OC 's Hosta...........

(1) Sunshine Glory
(2) Sea Fire
(3) Big Daddy
(4) Krossa Regal
(5) Frances Williams
(6) Elegans
(7) Plantaginea
(8) Key Lime Pie
(9) June
(10) Whirlwind
(11) Regal Splendor
(12) Lakeside Cha Cha
(13) Abiqua Moonbeam
(14) Patriot
(15) Grand Tiarra
(16) Golden Tiarra
(17) Lemon Lime
(18) Ventricosa
(19) Unknown
(20) unknown
(21) Lemon Lime - Mini

New this year (07)
(1) Grand Tiarra
(2) Chickadee - Mini
(3) Blue Mouse Ears - Mini
(4) Lakeside Elfin Fire - Mini
(5) Paradigm LARGE
(6) Shiny Penny - Mini
(7) So Sweet
(8) Lemon delight
(9) Crested Surf
(10) Feather Boa
(11) Colossal Blue
(12) Abby
(13) Diamond Tiarra
(14) Eola Salad Bowl
(15) Gold Edge
(16) Little Wonder
(17) Praying Hands

Probably missed 1 or 2, but will check the list as I photograph them this summer or at bloom time

What wonderful Friends we have at Hallsons. Sure glad you adopted this Old Coot named John
Last edited by oldcoot on May 26, 2007 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oldcoot

OC's Lilium List

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D Dumb Old Coot, thought that he had already posted this list but when checking this morning found out he hadn't so here is the list: (as soon as he puts it together)
floridagurl47
USDA Zone: 8A-B

Post by floridagurl47 »

hi there,

WOW OC you have a great selection of hostas....

im going to start a hosta garden here this yr....i found great spots for them....i have shade around the perimeter of my house(thank goodness i could find shade somewhere)....so, that will be interesting....

thanks for sharing your list with us..

luv ya
cindy :P
I can do all things thru CHRIST which strengthen me.....
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I knew I could find your story here if I kept looking. I, too, thank the wife for your camera, as I have enjoyed your photo posts. You truly do have a gift for photography. What a blessing! Keep up the good work. I pray that your love for the things God created... squirrels, birds, flowers....and your determination to enjoy them, will give you strength in your body as well....
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
oldcoot

Thanks Charla

Post by oldcoot »

:D :D :D OC is so blessed. Even though he has many medical problems, he is happy, content and can't wait for each day, which he thanks the good Lord for before he goes to bed and when he get up. OC 's love for HIM, his dear sweet loving wife, and the love of his cyber friends are what keep him going. They are my champions and with them for me.....what else is here.........
New Topic Post Reply