Squash Blossom

Each member may create their own topic to this forum where they can then post plant lists, personal information pages, and/or photographs to share with other members. Please limit your entry to one topic per member. No selling allowed.
Squash Blossom

Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

In retrospect, I have no idea why I chose Squash Blossom as my username - my claim to fame as a vegetable gardener is basically limited to growing wonderful tomatoes, eggplant, and bell peppers...squash borers put an end to the squash blossoms rather prematurely last year and I'm not even planting squash this year. For what I invested in growing six squash plants I could have bought 100 lbs. of squash!

My name is Ann, my retired hubby is Paul and we live a rather quiet life in Louisiana with three Chinese pugs, Rosebud, Gumdrop and Jimbo. I've been interested in pugs, pug welfare and pug rescue for many years and am an administrator at www.PugVillage.com. Gumdrop and Jimbo are both rescues, Gumdrop from a Missouri puppymill and Jimbo from an abusive family situation in Texas.

I have quite literally loved flowers since I was a child. My mother noted in my baby book that my first complete sentence was spoken when she called me to come inside and I told her I was digging in the dirt! :lol: I've pretty much been digging in the dirt for almost 60 years.

My backyard garden is tiny compared to most but it is quite adequate for all my gardening projects and requires practically no maintenance. Over the years I've been interested in many different plants and a combination of mild winters and a much loved greenhouse allow me to grow things yearround. Last summer was my first attempt at container vegetable gardening and it was quite productive.

I also enjoy sewing and crafts and try to spend at least a little time every day doing something creative. Recently I've been making shoulder bags and purses, before that it was custom costumes for Chinese pugs.

I'm attaching pictures of the pugs in their Mardi Gras 2005 costumes.
Attachments
Jimbo is a sweet, smart, devoted companion.  He was 4 this past September.
Jimbo is a sweet, smart, devoted companion. He was 4 this past September.
We believe Gumdrop is app. 9-10 years old...she lived in a puppymill cage for over 5 years.
We believe Gumdrop is app. 9-10 years old...she lived in a puppymill cage for over 5 years.
Rosebud was 12 years old in January, 2005.
Rosebud was 12 years old in January, 2005.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

What a nice Member Journal! Glad to meet you, Ann! I will have to ask questions in the veggie forum. And your little Pugs are adorable in their outfits!! What a great thing you do for them!! :D
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Ann,
Those pics of your Pugs are just too adorable. They really made me laugh this morning. I enjoyed your entry into your member journal also. I love to hear about others lives. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

Thank you so much. My pugs are characters, that's a fact!! :lol: In the past several years I've become painfully aware of what's happening with animal welfare in the U.S., the fact that 8-million dogs are destroyed in public pounds each year, and the plight of innocent, defenseless animals really touches my heart.

I've always been a gardener - I see my little garden like an artist's canvas...my passion is color and really the pure beauty of nature as it all works together. Not everyone loves and appreciates pets, enjoys gardening, or sees the point in doing anything personally creative but it's wonderful when you find people who enjoy your interests to converse and share ideas and experiences with.

I'm looking forward to being an active, contributing member at Hallson Gardens and getting to know everyone.
Attachments
Ann-Greenhouse (resized) (Copy 1).jpg
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Hi Ann, loved reading your journal. I love the pics of your furkids, they are adorable!
(I had a pek/pug that was my garden buddy, but had to put him down in November, I really miss him.)

Debbie :-)

Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

Hi Debbie,

They say that's the ultimate tribute to a beloved pet, to release them from discomfort and pain that cannot be eased, but I don't know of anything any harder to face. I've only had to make that call once, well over 25 years ago when our little chihuahua, Penny, had cancer but I still think about it sometime. Our ancient cat, Charlie, was over 20 years old when he just laid down and died and as much as I grieved I was still thankful he died in such a peaceful manner.

My pugs are all clowns, even old matrons Rosebud and Gumdrop are still up for getting into mischief and young Jimbo thrives on it!! Bo plans his escapades, Rose and Gummy pretty much stumble into funny situations or handle things in a funny manner, like two frumpy old ladies!!

Ann
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
New Topic Post Reply