imluke54's page...

Each member may create their own topic to this forum where they can then post plant lists, personal information pages, and/or photographs to share with other members. Please limit your entry to one topic per member. No selling allowed.
imluke54

imluke54's page...

Post by imluke54 »

Hey, it's great to be back on the forum after a hiatus when i started grad school... Things started poking out of the ground and I figured I'd better get my green thumb exercised. Well, I'm a young buck of 27 years that's been engrossed in hostas ever since I got married four years ago and cars, computers, and stereos became a 'waste of money'. I found something that could both beautify my yard and satisfy my compulsive tendency to collect. So, hostas it was, and is. I'm a small town southern Minnesota boy that married a city girl and now live in the 'burbs, not too far from jgh. I've got a corner lot with precious little shade and have crammed 200 varieties in there. I'm out of space. Seriously.

As for me, I'm in seminary at Luther Sem in St. Paul, MN. I'll be a collar-wearing pastor before I know it and possibly heading for a town near you! It's exciting, challenging, and the best part: every church has a gardening club!
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Luke,
When will you be ordained? And does the Lutheran church appoint you to a church for just a certain amount of time? I'm just curious , because I know in the Methodist church they try and change appointments every few years, although we generally get to keep a pastor at our church for longer lengths of time because we are very small and only need a part-time pastor. That usually means we have a "retired" pastor or someone in seminary serving our church. We've been fortunate to have three wonderful people serving the church since I have been a member. :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

200 in a small lot... hmm... I know what you are up to.
Do all churches have a garden club ?? and for what ??
Stupid question, but it is new to me !!!
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
imluke54

Post by imluke54 »

I'll be ordained in 08, I'm just finishing my first year. Took me a few years out of college chasing money to see that wasn't what I was called to do. As for the Methodist church, it was founded by Wesley, himself an itinerant preacher who traveled around by horse to preach at 'revival' meetings and the like. Hence, the somewhat itinerant nature of calls in the Methodist church has remained. My wife was Methodist, now she's a Lutheran. She converted. It was somewhat like moving to the house next door on the same block, the view is just a tiny bit different...

Thy, a garden club is an excuse for church folks to get together and drink coffee and maybe trade some plants, tour a garden, etc. Not all churches have them, but many Lutheran churches do. They are typically made up of middle-aged to elderly women. My favorite people at church, because they call me the handsome young man all the time. That never gets old... :D
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Well said, "handsome" ! Any of those older gals have any Hosta on your "want List"?? :lol: :lol:
imluke54

Post by imluke54 »

I wish... The church I used to work at was 2 minutes from Hideko Gowen's place. Course she didn't think I was handsome enough for free hostas, but she always had something interesting. So, I'll have to be the one passing the hosta bug at the new church. But, the youth do have a plant sale and I got them a wholesale source for perennials that sold fairly well. Blue Angel, of course, to the church folks... I tried to work with Chris for it, but it was too short of notice... Maybe next year, after I've had everyone over and gotten them worked up for the hostas!
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Very interesting. Our last minister was someone who worked as a photojournalist for many years before finally answering the call. He had to wait til his wife was on board before making the final step. Just a terrific fella with a lovely family. I miss them. They are currently in Washington State. I was not brought up as a Methodist, but DH was. I was never actually brought up in the church (my parents weren't churchgoers) ,but my family were all from the Baptist church.....mostly Old Regular. Always struck me as funny how we believers all worship the same God ,and yet have so many different beliefs and can't always agree with each other. :???: :roll:
I'm sure you're bring your Garden club members into the hosta fold soon. Once you get together and espouse all the virtues of this durable, yet lovely, plant...they will come around to your way of thinking. And there's lots and lots of hostas out there with Biblical names. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
imluke54

Post by imluke54 »

And there's lots and lots of hostas out there with Biblical names.
Ain't that the truth! I was thinking of a little plot just for them...
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

O.C. says Hi to aother Lutheran

Post by oldcoot »

Used to be a Baptist, but when I was divorced and remarried 30 years ago, they didn't like divorced coules in their church. My wife was raised Lutheran and immediately converted me. Over the years the Church has become a big part of my life. My hobby is raising flowers for the Lord and telling everyone WHO created them. Not me, I'm just the gardner....Good luck in school and in finding a great Church.

The usually FUNNY and always most FRIENDLY Old Coot named John, a Gardener for the Lord, saying thank YOU LORD for his good friends that share and for the nice rain that has made all our plants grow so well this year
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
imluke54

Post by imluke54 »

Good story, coot! I had the church garden club over today for the first official 'tour' of Luke's garden. I think the old ladies labeled me crazy for having all those hostas. 207 at last count in my little city lot. Well, I gave them the tour, naming plants as we went, and then I quizzed them to see if they remembered the plants. The first two to answer won them selves 3rd yr. TC Bottom Line, so they were happy. I told them the deer they worry about would choke on that puppy... :D
New Topic Post Reply