My Page: Quiet Storm

Each member may create their own topic to this forum where they can then post plant lists, personal information pages, and/or photographs to share with other members. Please limit your entry to one topic per member. No selling allowed.
Quiet Storm

My Page: Quiet Storm

Post by Quiet Storm »

My hosta garden is small, but very full. It is limited by the size of my yard,which is postage stamp size, and mostly shaded. I have several hosta varieties whose names I don't know, but here are the named varieties I have:

(Last updated May 22, 2009. Fall 2008 additions in pink.)
  • Abiqua Drinking Gourd -- summer 2007
    Allan P. McConnell
    Blue Arrow --summer 2007
    Blue Mouse Ears -- summer 2007
    Blue Shadows -- summer 2008
    Christmas Tree -- summer 2008
    Clovelly -- summer 2008
    Donahue Piecrust --summer 2007
    Eola Sapphire-- fall 2008
    Empress Wu -- fall 2008
    Fortunei Aureomarginata
    Fortunei Hyacinthina (I think)
    Francee
    Frances Williams 2009: Recovering from summer 2008 heat treatment for nematodes. Small specimen (now potted) survived.
    Gold Drop -- summer 2007
    Gold Edger
    Gold Standard -- summer 2007
    Golden Scepter (incredibly prolific) 2009 -- Lost most of these to nematodes during summer of 2008. Have one potted specimen left.
    Golden Tiara
    Great Expectations
    Guacamole-- fall 2008
    Halcyon
    Hadspen Blue -- summer 2007
    Ice Age Trail -- summer 2007

Inniswood 2009: Recovering from summer 2008 heat treatment for nematodes. Small specimen (now potted) survived.
    Julia Hardy -- summer 2006
    June-- summer 2007

Kabitan
    Komodo Dragon -- summer 2007
    Krossa Regal
    lancifolia
    Love Pat -- summer 2007
    Lady Isobel Barnet
    Mack the Knife -- summer 2007
    Plantaginea -- summer 2007
    Paradigm -- summer 2007

Red October
    Revolution
    Royal Standard
    Sagae
    Sleeping Beauty -- summer 2007
    Spilt Milk -- summer 2007
    Sum and Substance
    Undulata
    Undulata Albomarginata
    Undulata Erromena (I think)
    Ventricosa (I think -- It usually gets dark purple flowers mid summer, but did not bloom this year)
Last edited by Quiet Storm on May 22, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Gloria

I will breathe after my own fashion...
Henry David Thoreau, Civil Disobedience

My Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Welcome to the forums :D

Nice list and yes trash the Wide Brim, HVX or not, there is no space for problem hostas in a tiny garden
No h. June :o

Do you still have grass :-? :lol:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Quiet Storm

Post by Quiet Storm »

Thanks Pia.

Yes, we do have grass, but my hosta garden has been steadily encroaching on the lawn. I'll try to post a photo.
Last edited by Quiet Storm on May 23, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gloria

My Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

You have a nice selection for a small yard. :) I, too, would definitely recommend H.June. Such a beautiful hosta. Would love to see a pic of your garden. :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Quiet Storm

Post by Quiet Storm »

Here are a few photos of my shade garden from last year (2006)
Attachments
Golden Scepter in the foreground.  Don't know the name of the green with white edge in the background.  Please enlighten me if you know its name.
Golden Scepter in the foreground. Don't know the name of the green with white edge in the background. Please enlighten me if you know its name.
Great Expectations with red bleeding heart
Great Expectations with red bleeding heart
The only hostas I can identify with certainty in this photo are: Golden Tiara (to the right of the copper bowl), Krossa Regal (behind Golden Tiara), Halcyon (to the left of Krossa Regal), Great Expectations (far right), and Royal Standard (in the foregrou
The only hostas I can identify with certainty in this photo are: Golden Tiara (to the right of the copper bowl), Krossa Regal (behind Golden Tiara), Halcyon (to the left of Krossa Regal), Great Expectations (far right), and Royal Standard (in the foregrou
Last edited by Quiet Storm on Aug 03, 2007 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gloria

My Hosta List
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

Welcome. Nice pictures, nice gardens....The GE is so fat or phat. Very nice. I also live in the northeast. It has been a good summer for the hosta and gardening!
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
Quiet Storm

Post by Quiet Storm »

hostabuff,

It has been a wonderful summer for hosta and gardening. I spend as much of every day as I can manage outdoors in my garden. Just looked at your list, and all I can say is wow! Your gardens must be beautiful.

Edited August 4, 2007 -- Oh my. Discovered that several H. Golden Scepter plants have nematodes. Went on a search and destroy mission. Hopefully the malady has not spread.
Last edited by Quiet Storm on Aug 04, 2007 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gloria

My Hosta List
Quiet Storm

Companion plants

Post by Quiet Storm »

Here is a list of ground covers, perennials, shrubs, bulbs and annuals that I use in my hosta beds:

Ground covers
  • Ajuga (bugleweed)
    Creeping Jenny
    European Ginger
    Gallium Odoratum - Sweet Woodruff (this is very pretty, but I am getting rid of it because it seems to be choking other plants)
    Lamium (dead nettle)
    Lily of the Valley
    Pachysandra
    Vinca

Perennials
  • Astilbe
    Cimicifuga (Bugbane)
    Dicentra (Bleeding Heart)
    Elijah Blue fescue grass
    ferns
    Geranium (the perennial type)
    Heuchera (coral bells)
    Siberian Iris (these can tolerate a bit of shade, and they provide great vertical interest)
    Solomon's Seal
    Trycirtis (toad lilies)

Shrubs
  • Andromeda (pieris japonica)
    Azalea
    Hydrangea

Spring Flowering Bulbs
  • Daffodils
    Grape Hyacinth
    Trout Lilies

Annuals
  • Impatiens (I use these in pots throughout my main hosta bed)
    Purple Perilla (This is an annual herb in the mint family. It self sows prolifically, and prefers full sun, but does quite nicely in the shade. Its leaves are a rich, deep reddish purple, that goes well with hostas. My experience has been that it does not multiply as rapidly or grow as tall in the shade, but it still can be a bit weedy.

My main hosta bed is planted in the shade of four trees -- an oak, a sugar maple, a clump of eastern hemlocks, and a blue spruce -- which span the width of my back yard.
Gloria

My Hosta List
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

Hi Gloria,
My hosta list may look long -- until you compare it with the lists of other collectors on this forum-- plus I added about 70 plants this year..... 20 still in pots waiting for a home. Yes I'm a little crazy about hosta (my husband thinks I belong to a cult). Have you checked out the New England Hosta Society? It's a very nice group with a lot of good things happening. We saw some pretty amazing gardens this year--in anticipation of selecting gardens for the 2011 Hosta Convention! You have a nice list of shade plants there!
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
Quiet Storm

Post by Quiet Storm »

Hi hostabuff,

I haven't checked out the New England Hosta Society yet. I've always loved hosta, but had no clue how many there were to choose from until the last few years. I met Steve Greene (of Hosta Finder fame) a few weeks ago. I was in awe of his collection. He let us browse at our leisure, then dug the plants we wanted and potted them up for the trip home. I usually add one new hosta to my collection each year, but this year I've already added 12, and my husband thinks I'm out of control. My yard is very small, so I have limited space to work with. Each year I carve out a little bit more of the lawn to accommodate my growing collection of hosta.

Cheers,

Gloria
Gloria

My Hosta List
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Gloria, thanks for posting the list of companions and some of your thoughts on shady gardening. It's always nice to hear/see what others are doing. Your pictures are lovely.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Quiet Storm

Post by Quiet Storm »

Thanks Jane. The garden did very well this summer, up until I discovered nematodes on several golden scepter plants in early August. I destroyed the plants and treated the planting holes with boiling water, and thought I was done. Not so. A golden tiara came up with nematodes, then several plants nearby, including halcyon, lady isobel barnet, inniswood, fortunei aureomarginata, great expectations, revolution, sum and substance and another clump of golden scepter. I dug, heat treated and potted the golden tiara; thought I had killed it, but it has come back with a flush of new, nematode free leaves. For the rest of the infested plants, I removed the affected leaves and treated the plants with disulfoton granules and insecticidal soap. So far only one has shown any further nematode damage, and I've treated that with another dose of insecticidal soap. I treated all of my new hostas with disulfoton, and so far none of them has shown any symptoms. The garden is looking pretty ratty at the moment, a combination of the drought we're experiencing in eastern Mass, and the fact that it's about time for the plants to start going dormant. Looking forward to better success next year.
Gloria

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply