"Fullofit" (wild4flowers)

Each member may create their own topic to this forum where they can then post plant lists, personal information pages, and/or photographs to share with other members. Please limit your entry to one topic per member. No selling allowed.
fullofit

"Fullofit" (wild4flowers)

Post by fullofit »

New member name (Wild4flowers), but same old person.
I'll just have to start over again with this journal. CHAR
Last edited by fullofit on Jan 06, 2008 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHAR (wild4flowers)
Happiness is making a bouquet
of those flowers within reach !
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

After a deep snowy, beautiful Christmas and New Years, the sun has come out for chilling temperatures in Michigan(teens & below). The weatherman says that the warming trend coming will get us up to the 40-50's. That will take care of most of the snow. I can then use my deer repellant on the surrounding trees again. I hope to be luckier this year and save some of my small starter pines. The deer, in their quest to stay alive, have munched their way into my yard, and eatten most of the starter pines I have from 2 & 3 years worth of growing. My neighbors feed the critters with corn, apples, carrots, and a salt lick. They then come to my yard to cleanse their palate with greenery.
Yes, they are pretty, graceful, and I don't dislike them a lot. But I like my plants and trees more. I have been mixing a concoction of garlic, lemons, eggs, oil soap, cayenne pepper,and cloves in the blender and squirting it on upright trees and the like around my property. It is time to replentish it again. The lession I learned from mixing this, is to do it outside. It really smells up my house. The blender is dedicated to this project also. I don't even know if this works, but some of these things are found in commercial repellant. And by the deer tracks in the snow, bambi and friends come right up to my trellis's on the property line, but don't come into the yard. However, I know they are around because the dog keeps watch from the window and sounds off when he sees them.
Attachments
11-30 deer in backyard 004a.JPG
IMG_3580.jpg
CHAR (wild4flowers)
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

Our Michigan snowfall of 16-20-some inches around and after Christmas/NewYears, is now completely gone. This morning when I got up it was 57 degrees and bare ground.
We'll get more, but for now, I'm enjoying the balmy weather. At least it gave me a chance to take down the Christmas stuff outside without freezing my fingers.
The birds eat just as much from the feeders with or without snow. The ground just looks messier not covered in white.
Attachments
pic 017.jpg
CHAR (wild4flowers)
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

Feb. 10, and 0 degrees here in Michigan. I made sure I did my trips to town yesterday, so I can cozy up indoors. High winds all night, so there are heavy drifts outside. Not to worry, the snow blower will get them someday when it gets warmer.
Since I don't plan on working much this summer, I'll get back to the gardens. And that means new plants tags for some of the newer daylilies. I have already revised my daylily lists and have dug out my metal tags. I have also labeled some for use come spring.
Since I moved quite a few, I discovered that there are 60 tags to be labeled, and I did that while I was visiting my sister.
The other task I am doing is an applique quilt for my 6 year old grandson. It is a zoo theme, because that seems to be his favorite at this time. Once that is done, I can start dismantling the bathroom. It needs a new shower, stool, sink, flooring, you know....the works. It is outdated by about 30 years. Harvest gold everything. I've been planning for awhile.
CHAR (wild4flowers)
fullofit

Re: "Fullofit" (wild4flowers)

Post by fullofit »

Its been over a year since the last time I wrote here. Where did the time go. I find that as I get older, my time priorities change a lot. My husband and I have been using our camper more and doing some local traveling with his brother and wife. And we did spend a month in Florida this January. It got us away from the bitter cold and lots of Michigan snow, but then we had to come back.
My garden suffered last year, because we went to S. Carolina in March and i didn't get a head start on my clean up gardening. I have high hopes this year. I have already done some of the spring clean up in uncovering my beds. But it got cold and windy again, so I had to stop.
I did work last year on a limited basis. I am still working for Hospice, but only enough to keep my earnings below the required Social Security guidelines. The rest of the time is spent here and there and stuff and things. I developed an interest in dolls. Making them. But then, what do I do with the dolls after I have them made? My sister in law had been going to a farmers market , setting up shop, and selling her Americana dolls, so I did a consignment-type deal, and managed to sell some, but she isn't doing that any more. I really like to keep busy, but not so much that it becomes a chore. If I do any crafts, I need to find an outlet for my creativity. I tried to sell a couple of 'old lady' dolls on e-bay and got no response. And I noticed that even though there are literally thousands of dolls advertised on e-bay, many, many of them never get a bid. Like mine.
My health has been excellent but with less and less exercise, I see the lbs. packing on. I bought an electric bicycle to get around on, because my knees limit the rotation I can do with the pedals. But once it was delivered I discovered that the center bar was way to high and I can't even get on it. So I then ordered a Trikke, the adult scooter, but still have to wait for warmer weather to trial it very much. The one outing I did with it left me with black and blue knees and scraped skin. Its a balance thing after all. Ok, ok, I'm not as young as I used to be. I want to be, but it doesn't work that way.
Attachments
Mature lady-1.jpg
Mature lady-1.jpg (3.69 KiB) Viewed 9374 times
Oldies Dolls 001.jpg
CHAR (wild4flowers)
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

Here's another OMG, for this journal, how did all this time get away from me? Looks like its the same for most. I needed to help my grandson (age 10), and see that he got more father time with my son. That involved a pocketbook, and attorney. He's my only grandson,he deserves more of a chance in life than he has gotten so far. My son needed more parenting time. So, I am back to work full time, after retiring in 2004. Success, I'm working full time and my son has more active time with my grandson. I volunteered, so I'd better stop complaining.
That said, I don't seem to have enough time in my gardens. I think about it a lot, but I'm pretty tired at the end of the day. But, yet again, I have every hope that this spring I can get to the clean up and restore my neglected gardens to full blown glory.
Like everyone, I have a list already of chores to get done, deck to be stripped and stained, front and back, brick/stone work to put up along the base of the garage, decorative bench in yard to be refinished, moving/rearranging areas of bulbs. I have a quilt to make for my sons wedding, a new Kindle just waiting to be used, underground sprinkling system to be installed. drainage system to rethink, and more, more, more.
We traveled last summer from Michigan to Oregon. I wanted to see the coast , and it was gorgeous. Makes me want to do more. and more. and more. I don't really have plans yet for this summer, but I am tied down with work, so can't take any extensive trips
My the time I get some of my beds cleaned, and to my hosta"s, they will be enormous specimens. That will give me something to look forward to . Kind of hard to concentrate with 6 inches of snow covering everything, and a backache from shoveling snow this morning. Last summer, overall, everything looked good from a distance, but I can see it up close, and notice all the weeds.
I would really like to get another crop of strawberries planted. The last ones kind of died out, so I tilled them under. Boy, they tasted good when in season. Real Michigan strawberries, and not hard crunchy store bought ones.
Last year I made plans and redid my bathroom. , oops, it was the fall before that. Love my new bathroom. This is a 1950's house, and was original. The bathroom fixtures were harvest gold, remember that color. I gave myself a European glass shower, wonderful. Before Thanksgiving I started on the kitchen, That had Avocado green counter tops (and appliances) when I moved in, and we had them sprayed gray with flecks, that made it better for some years. But, I now have brushed aluminum appliances, ceramic floors, self done(stained and finished wood grain) cupboards, and "granite" counter tops. Recessed lights, and hanging pendant lights over the eating bar and sink. The only thing left is to put on handles, and kick panels under the floor cupboards. I'm pretty pleased with that project. It brought my house into the current era. Char
CHAR (wild4flowers)
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

Since it is the week end, I know there are some things that I do get done with my few hours off. I am trimming walls with paint in the kitchen, and taped it off and did some painting. The dog and cat got too playful overnight and knocked a quilt in progress to the floor. The dog, pulled some of the batting out and spread it over the floor. So now I need to redo sandwiching it together. My son showed up and did some wiring for the lighting. So I feel it was pretty productive. As usual, I get my work load organized for the next day, sit down to relax, and then off to bed.
CHAR (wild4flowers)
New Topic Post Reply