My Page - Marvelous Marlys

Each member may create their own topic to this forum where they can then post plant lists, personal information pages, and/or photographs to share with other members. Please limit your entry to one topic per member. No selling allowed.
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

My Page - Marvelous Marlys

Post by Marlys »

Marlys Anderson
Dutchman’s Landing - Lake Red Rock, Pella IA

Marion County Master Gardener:
Senior Center Projects / planting Wallashuck Campground flower-beds / garden tours / plant swap-sale / Habitat for Humanity project

President – Knoxville Federated Garden Club - we sponsor - Bessie Spaur Butterfly Garden, Knoxville, IA - 52 garden plots care for by 100% volunteer efforts.
Garden club committees & activities – Butterfly Garden Committee / Ways & Means Committee / Habitat for Humanity / flower shows – Marion County Fair / garden tours / Scarecrow Contest / Sitting Pretty Contest / Garden Gala (celebrating spring each April)

Member of:
The Russ O’Hara Hosta Society (ROHS) – area hosta society
(retention / recruitment committee)
The Midwest Regional Hosta Society – regional hosta society
The American Hosta Society (AHS) – national hosta organization / chairperson AHS website advertising with Josh Spece
(Donor to the annual AHS on-line plant auction)

Full-time job – RN – 25 years - Pella Regional Health Center / ER nurse - also part-time Oncology nurse / infusion center- part-time nursing supervisor - and I fill-in shifts at the Hospice Comfort House in Pella.

Gardening Experience / Education:
I was raised in the garden. Picking strawberries and cutting wild asparagus in the ditch are some of my earliest memories. In fact, as a child when I asked that age-old question, “Where did I come from?” I was told they found me out in the Cabbage Patch. So, I suppose that makes me an original “Cabbage Patch” Doll – now an Antique Cabbage Patch Doll!

My maternal grandparents were my garden-mentors. They taught me all about the soil, planting things, and preserving foods from the garden. In my other life (when my children were at home) vegetable gardening was a big deal. I was really into cooking, canning, and freezing fruits & vegetables. I don’t do all that hard work anymore. All though I do miss it at times.

I’ve really gotten into Shade Gardening and now wonder why I ever did all that hard work in the hot sun. I just play in the garden now. I do what I enjoy. And I do it just for me. It’s just for fun! I like to have fun!

I love creating beautiful gardens and growing a wide variety of plants. I don’t have enough space, or time, or energy to grow everything I’d like to. I love to share plants & seeds & ideas & gardening experiences. And I love garden visitors.

The name of our gardens is “Creations”
Our garden motto is “Creations by Marlys & Ron & God”

Check out my garden website: My hosta list is posted there on the Hosta Page. http://www.marlysgardens.com
Last edited by Marlys on Jun 02, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Marlys, you are one busy woman! Have I mentioned that I just love your website? Can't wait til I can visit your garden (and you and Ron...) in person!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply