Too Much Work on 'Maggi's Farm' (Maggidew)

Each member may create their own topic to this forum where they can then post plant lists, personal information pages, and/or photographs to share with other members. Please limit your entry to one topic per member. No selling allowed.
Maggidew

Too Much Work on 'Maggi's Farm' (Maggidew)

Post by Maggidew »

This seems to be an excellent place to keep track of what we have going here at 'the Farm'.

Ken (DH) has been collecting Bananas and various Elephant Ears (Alocasia, Colocasia and Xanthosoma).

I have been collecting Toad Lilies, Hostas and Hellebores (a very young Hellebore collection of seedlings and one surviving named variety).

This is all added to our large Brugmansia collection.

Oh yeah, and I started collecting various Gingers a few years ago. And Japanese Yews.

Ken collects Daylilies too. And Bearded Iris.

Oh - and the herbs.

Plus everything else. (Roses, Salvia, Coral Bells and Heucherlla, Ferns, etc)

I will start my lists here this year, maybe I can keep up with it all - LOL!
Maggi
Maggidew

Post by Maggidew »

We garden under big old Oaks on about 1 acre of ground (minus the space taken up by Ken's peafowl pens). It has been a challenge to find suitably sunny spots for some of the plants.

Ken has a large collection of Daylilies, but most of them lost their tags, or did not come to him with names. I will try to get pics of each one as it blooms and possibly identify them?

I have more Toad Lilies too, but again, they lost their tags. (Darn those chickens, anyway!)

Should I even mention Ken's Banana collection? LOL!

Lists so far:

Hostas

Baby Bunting
Band of Gold
Blue Mammoth
Blue Mouse Ears
Deep Blue Sea
Dorset Blue
Fountain of Youth
Fried Green Tomatoes
Frosted Dimples
Guacamole
Hadspen Blue
Key Lime Pie
Liberty
Paradigm
Shazaam
Silk Kimono
Spring Fling
St Paul
Sum and Substance
Sum Total

Toad Lilies

Gilt Edge
Gilty Pleasure
hatatogisa
Imperial Banner
Lemon Twist
Lightning Strike
macrantha
macropoda
Miyazaki
Tojen

Roses

Alaska (native of)
Butterfly
Coral Medeilland
Lady Banks (Yellow)
Outta the Blue
Pink Grootendorst
Veilchenblau (this likes shade!)

Bearded Iris

Barely There
Champagne Waltz
Cranberry Crush
Diabolique
Edith Wolford
English Charm
Harvest of Memories
Hemstitched
Jessie's Song
Mariposa Skies
New Moon
Orange Harvest
Significant Other
Stolen Dreams

Gingers

Alpinia Pin Stripe
Burbidgea scheizocheila
Costus Green Mountain
Costus Red Stem
Curcuma Candy Cane
Curcuma Giant Plume
Curcuma Kimon Rose
Curcuma longa
Curcuma Panama Purple
Curcuma Scarlet Fever
Curcuma zedoria
Hedichium Moy Giant
Hedychium Dave Case
Hedychium Dr Moy
Hedychium kewensis
Hedychium Luna Moth
Hedychium Orange Crush
Hedychium Thai Conch Pink

Elephant Ears

Alocasia Aurora
Alocasia Bunny Tracks
Alocasia cucullata
Alocasia wentii
Colocasia Big Dipper
Colocasia Chicago Harlequin
Colocasia Coffee Cup
Colocasia Elena
Colocasia Miranda
Colocasia nancyana
Colocasia Pink China
Colocasia Royal Hilo
Colocasia Tea Cup
Xanthosoma Blue Taro
Xanthosoma violaceum

Brugmansias

Adeline
Ambrosia
Apricot Smoothie
Autumn Treasure
Axelrose
Butterfly
Chrissy
Cotton Candy
Creamsickle
Day Dreams
Daybreak
Desiree
Fleming Island Spider
Forestville Double
Georgia Peach
Isabella
Janet Reno
Knightii
Kurpark Bad Salzschlirf
Maya
Milk n Honey
Miss Emily MacKenzie
Mountain Magic
Mountain Treasure
Native Habitat's Double Peach
Naughty Nick
New Orleans Lady
Orange Sunshine
Peaches n Cream
Pink Beauty
Pink Velvet
Rosenquartz
Sam
Serendipity
Solid Gold
Super Nova
Temple Goddess
Tequila Sunrise
Tootsie
Tropical Sunset
versicolor peach
versicolor salmon
versicolor wildform
Whiskers
Wild n Crazy

Additions:
Cuba
Ecuador Pink
Orange Sherbert
Shaman's Dream
Jazzy
Last edited by Maggidew on Apr 29, 2008 8:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Maggi
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Wow what an amazing list Maggi!!! Thanks for posting it :D

Do you have a want list of hosta?

Stephanie
Maggidew

Post by Maggidew »

My want list of Hostas is anything that will withstand the heat later in the year. I have had some of the Hosta in the ground for 8 or 9 years now and if I can keep them watered and relatively cool in the late Summer, it's OK and they have survived. Many of the named Hostas I have listed I bought through a co-op buying group last year, so it's kind of an experiment with those, to see if I can keep them alive through the heat.

The darned chickens are much fewer in number this year, and Ken has talked about setting them up in a pen, something I have yearned for all these years. Every place I dig to plant something, the chickens come behind and scratch and scratch, looking for bugs to eat. Oftentimes they scratch the plants up out of the ground.

Until the past couple of years we have had brown (leaves and mulch) at ground level and then taller plants springing up out of that. I really want more plants in the up-to-3 foot range for a better, more pulled-together look overall.

Most of the areas left to plant are in semi-shade to deep shade. I have one large area off the north to northeast side of the house where we had Brugmansia and suffered many losses of those plants to stem blight. I am looking to plant that area with more broadleaf evergreen shrubs with Hosta, Toad Lily, Hellebore, etc. as the lower plants. The area gets dappled sunlight much of the day. I have been working on breaking up the clay there with generous applications of gypsum and we spread mulch and leaves there every year. I think it's nearly ready this year.

I have had some success with Heuchera and Heucherella in some of the semi-shade areas already planted. I'd like to continue to collect more of those. I am also looking for anything else that would like the conditions and would tolerate the Summer heat as well.

I do have areas to use as 'holding pens' for plant material in pots and have a good local source for potting soils of different qualities. I have a few more Hosta waiting to be planted - duplicates of what's already in the ground. I have a bunch of Parrot's Beak Alstroemeria I can use as filler too. Plus another 116 Hellebore seedlings from Joan's in Tyler!
Maggi
New Topic Post Reply