Is this Undulata a Goner ? UPDATED !! w/ more pics

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

k9clipper

Is this Undulata a Goner ? UPDATED !! w/ more pics

Post by k9clipper »

This is an old plant that was at my house when I bought it, this is the first year it has ever looked like this. There were 4 others here as well. Should I pitch them all ? :(

Last edited by k9clipper on May 29, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Think it is infected, but a frost night can do something like it-

Better let Chris look at this :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
k9clipper

Post by k9clipper »

Well, we did have some late frosts. I'll wait and see what Chris has to say before I get out my shovel :cry:
Rosenzobel

Post by Rosenzobel »

IMHO these leaes show frost damages....
whip1

Post by whip1 »

Looks like frost to me as well.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi there,

What do the backs of those leaves look like? If there is some bubbling where the outer tissue layer is separating from the middle layer then it could be frost damage. But looking at this side alone it really looks like HVX to me. The main reason I believe that is because the damaged portions follow along the veins down into the base of the leaves, but it isn't consistent across the leaves. Frost will cause consistent damage all the way across and tend to stop evenly at some point. This is uneven downward, plus there isn't any damage to the white portions that would have been left behind if it was frost.

But look at the back. If there is some bubbling to prove surface damage then that could cause this side to look damaged too.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Thank you Chris :D :D :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
k9clipper

Post by k9clipper »

I looked at the backs, and they look bubbly to me, but I really have no idea what I am looking at. I will post a better pic tomorrow morning, it was too dark out to get a good shot.Thanks for your help.
Chris_W wrote:Hi there,

What do the backs of those leaves look like? If there is some bubbling where the outer tissue layer is separating from the middle layer then it could be frost damage. But looking at this side alone it really looks like HVX to me. The main reason I believe that is because the damaged portions follow along the veins down into the base of the leaves, but it isn't consistent across the leaves. Frost will cause consistent damage all the way across and tend to stop evenly at some point. This is uneven downward, plus there isn't any damage to the white portions that would have been left behind if it was frost.

But look at the back. If there is some bubbling to prove surface damage then that could cause this side to look damaged too.
k9clipper

Post by k9clipper »

:-?
New Topic Post Reply