Need advice is this?......

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

hummingbird
USDA Zone: 9b

Need advice is this?......

Post by hummingbird »

Need your opinions on whether you think this Mont Aureo Marginata is virused.
I bought it last yr at a respectable nursery, but this yr it isn't looking so great. Not sure if it's due to the cold spring here as this one did take a very long time to come up opposed to my more mature clump of this same hosta.
I don't see any blotchiness, but all those bumps (warts) is what has me puzzled. Hopefully these pics are good enough to see it. If not I'll try and take better ones. Your help/advice is appreciated.
Attachments
PICT0003.JPG
PICT0001.JPG
"Friends are as elusive as rainbows"
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

I think that is frost damage, but I am no expert by any means.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Hi Cheryl, I really do like your answer :lol: . Hope your right and others agree.
shadylanejewel
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by shadylanejewel »

Sorry Rachael

You're not going to like my answer.

Yours looks exactly like the ones I bought in last year. When they came up I thought they looked like they had frost damage, so I cut off the leaves and let them come up again. They still didn't look right so I sent leaves to Dr. Lockhart and all tested positive for HVX.

I bought them from NW Bulb & Perennial and they had brought them in from a Dutch grower. Is there anywhere for you to have yours tested?
Julie

"To Plant a Seed is a Noble Deed - Propagation is Conservation" Norman C. Deno, Professor Emeritus of Chemistry
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks Julie, for sharing your experience. I was thinking frost damage too, but it also didn't seem to look right around the edges. I was going to suggest waiting for the next flush of foliage to come out before trashing it, but I would certainly believe that HVX could make it look this way.

Can we add your experience with Northwest Bulb to our grower list?
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Well folks, I think I will err on the side of caution and dispose of it regardless if it is or not. If there's any doubt I don't want to risk it. I do already have a decent clump of this one anyway so not a major deal.
Julie I'm not sure where I would go to get it tested around these parts, but would have to make a few calls to find out.
Thanks for all the help now I know what to do and it's outta here today!
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

It look exactly as mine... or rather one eye one mine. Did think frost damage and knew for sure it was up before the winter came here in late February.... will cut the eye back and see what will happen.. it is not close to any other hosta so I will do it tomorrow and see what happpens :o
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Liselotte

Frost

Post by Liselotte »

Oh no! I was hoping some leaves on Paradigm looking like that, were frost damage. I have ten plants (4 years), always looked good, did not touch them until yesterday, when I found some strange white spots on them. The giant wood ant hill moved 4 ft. over into Paradigm and I thought is was the ants.
New Topic Post Reply