Spreading the word

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

madmama

Spreading the word

Post by madmama »

I live in a rural area. We have a few Wal Marts, a Lowe’s and a few small nurseries in the area. Just yesterday I was at Lowe’s and saw a hosta with HVX. They had quite a few hostas, but I only saw one that had the definite markings. We were at Wal Mart also but I didn’t make it out to the plants. Now when we were at Lowe’s and I saw the infected hosta I didn’t say anything to anyone and before you all get mad at me for keeping my mouth shut, let me explain why.
I am not a people person, I have a hard time approaching someone and starting a conversation. I also have a REALLY bad memory and I am very unorganized. Some of you probably don’t know me here because I don’t post very often. But if you look at my join date and I tell you I am here almost every day and have been since I joined you get an idea of how hard it is for me join in. Not that I don’t think you all are wonderful, because I do. It’s just hard for me. And I wouldn’t be able to be here every day if this was not on my favorites list, I can’t remember the address to anyplace. Now my point to all of this is that I bet I’m not the only person that has a hard time talking to people and a bad memory. I hope that no one out there is as bad as me. But you get my drift. What I am asking for here is help. I love my hostas and the spread of HVX is making me feel sick. I like all of you want to get the word out and make it go away. But I just can’t get through all the info here, pick out what is best and print something out to give to people. It seems like it is all spread out and as I said before I have no organization skills. So is there someone out there who can think straight and maybe could put some info together and a few pictures that I could print out. I know I could make myself talk to someone if I had what I needed to know right in front of me. I really want to join in with you all in telling people about this but I need help. Thanks so much for listening to my rambling.
<font size="+2" I>Jane<I/font>
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Hi Jane,

I really don't have too much trouble starting the conversation as I'm always so alarmed when I see the virused hostas. But when I'm questioned about whether I'm a state inspector or a master gardener, then I start squirming in my skin. :lol:

Chris suggested that I print out the virus article from the Hosta Library and give to people which I did and will keep doing it. My experience so far has been, after they skim through it, they usually don't have too much else to say, except thank you!

The article can be found here:
http://www.hostalibrary.org/firstlook/HVX.htm

And thanks to Alexa, I'm also going to start carrying the Hosta Journal that has the article about Virus X.

Hope this helps and perhaps someone else will join in here too.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply