What is safe to use as a disinfecting solution ?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Primroselane

What is safe to use as a disinfecting solution ?

Post by Primroselane »

Hi Chris
If I use the Clorox Disinfecting Wipes that contain Chloride will that work? The container says it does not contain bleach. What is the saftest one to use. If these wipes work it would be easier for me to use in the garden, they come in a nice covered container, made by Clorox.
Lucille
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Lucille,

You can use anything that will thoroughly remove the plant sap between cuts. We use alcohol and paper towels, soaking the knives and then wiping them off. Once a week we run them through the dishwasher.

The idea is not to neutralize the virus but to remove any trace of plant material, so those wipes should work great.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

So, what I have been doing is WRONG! :eek: I have alcohol in a small bucket, that I put my pruners in, then I hit them with the hose.....No wiping....OMG, :eek: I will use paper towels now......
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

If I want to move a Hosta in my garden, should I just clean the shovel with the alcohol and paper towel? will that work?
Lucille
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

I've been dipping my shovels in bleach water and then rinsing and drying them off.
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Thanks for the advice. I'm getting ready to dig three virused hostas, 2 Gold Standards and a Spritzer, and now I now how to sanitize! :P
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

I feel so bad for you, having to lose three of yours beautiful Hostas, that has to be terrible. I had one big Sum and Substance last year and got rid of that and the one next to it after having them tested, the thing is that I kept it for two years not knowing it was virus, sure was pretty and so I am worried that I did spread it when deadheading the blooms. So I keep looking.
Lucille
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Chris, do we need to wipe the tools off with a paper towel? I have just been dunking them in bleach, but not wiping them with anything, thinking that was good enough.

Debbie

wholyhosta

Post by wholyhosta »

Also, to continue the above post, cause that's my question- besides wiping off bleach, which works faster killing virus, alcohol or bleach?

I like Chris' idea using a spray bottle of alcohol- it evaporates and you don't need to wipe off -...... but is it as effective as bleach in killing virus?

Also, great idea using Clorox wipes- ... effectivelness?

Brenda
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

I don't think either is rated to completely neutralize the virus. Dr. Lockhart wrote last year that the goal is to remove the plant sap. No sap, no virus. Makes me think soap and water would do the same trick. I like the alcohol because it make it easy to wipe down my knives or scissors and does evaporate quickly. Bleach could rust everything.
wholyhosta

Post by wholyhosta »

Thanks, Chris

As you can see from my post, I was inclined toward alcohol, cause it's less intrusive on 'my environment', so glad to read your experiences with it.

Brenda
New Topic Post Reply