HVX and the hosta community

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

wholyhosta

HVX and the hosta community

Post by wholyhosta »

I have glanced over several programs of speakers for 2005 hosta conventions and have not seen one mention of addressing the growing HVX issue. No one is speaking about, or doing a presentation on, this problem. Now, I don't have access toinfo on all the programs/ speaker engagements offered by all the hosta societies during the year, ......... but am I detecting a general 'ostrich' reaction to this threat?

What do you know about this info getting to the hosta community, aside from the forums, some articles on the Hosta Library, and an article in The Hosta Journal (I haven't read it)- is it being ignored?

I signed up for our Georgia Hosta Society last month at the annual plant sale. When I asked about HVX, they dismissed it by saying only buy from reputable nurseries. As we can see, from what Chris is dealing with, with his suppliers, being even a very reputable and appreciated nursery owner doesn't protect you from HVX.

Is there a tendency to dismiss this, by many hostaholics and hosta organizations? It's a fearful situation.
I don't know, as I've only been involved for a short time-since this winter- in the community. What do you think?

Brenda
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I think you're right about one thing.....it seems that many involved in the hosta community are either ignoring HVX all together as if it isn't really a problem...or they may be trying to keep things quiet and handle it out of the public eye for fear of losing business. It does surprise me that there aren't more informational meetings going on with local chapters and such. And you would think that State Dept. of Agriculture people would be more up on the information about it? It's not like it's a brand new problem occurring just this year. I even came in contact with a person who specializes in just hostas and they did not even know what HVX was!!
I guess many nurseries won't do much about it until it becomes a huge financial drain on them. And I've noticed some are more informed than others...and some are more willing to listen and make the effort to learn about the problem.
It would certainly be a much better gardening world if more owners like Chris and Brian were facing the problem.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Brenda,

That's the attitude I've been seeing for years - that they just seem to be ignoring it. I believe that Bill Meyer has faced some of the same challenges, and he is the education chair of the AHS, but this year more are finally starting to poke their heads out of the sand.

I just sent an email to volunteer to speak at Hosta College next year in March. Is it possible to get slides made of digital pictures so I could do a slide show? I have pictures of it myself but would probably request more pictures too.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Great Job Chris! I agree with Joan and one needs to know what they are purchasing and from whom.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Chris, You should be able to have slides made from digital pic's. We do it here at work, or you can set up a power point or adobe slide show directly from your computer. You should yell at Robin, I bet she knows exactly how it can be done. I can sure send you a pic of my Striptease since it is still in the ground ( I know, I gotta dig it up, but I'm scared! :eek: )

Ginger
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

I can't help with the slides Chris but I'm getting ready to dig and destroy :evil: two Gold Standards and a Spritzer (Spritzer virus) if you want/need pictures.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Dee
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Dee »

Chris, a local print/design shop should be able to make slides for you, but if not...I know of a few sources here in Indy. I used to work at a college here in town and that's what I did...PowerPoint presentations. I know they can still make slides, they just don't have to do it very often these days. You could always do an electronic presentation, if the Hosta College folks go for that. And if you need help with any of it, just holler. I'd be glad to help in any way I can. :)
Justme

Post by Justme »

Here is a much better picture of my virused Striptease. Use it if you want. I knew it was sick last year, but didn't think it looked sick then. But it came back up this year, large and much sicker! I had left it to see what would happen this spring. These picture were taken on its way to the trash.

It was a shame, except for the HVX it would have been a great plant.

I have also seen the same "Look" on every Striptease last summer and this summer that mine had last year. And I only shop at reliable, knowledge, nurserys. I have given up getting a Striptease and got Gypse Rose instead.

Tami
Attachments
Sick Striptease0001Niagara Falls Trip 2005 027.JPG
Sick Striptease0001Niagara Falls Trip 2005 026.JPG
My Hosta List
It is always something
New Topic Post Reply