Could it be HVX

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

lmcclure

Could it be HVX

Post by lmcclure »

I received Diana Remembered through the mail about a week ago. Today I noticed that 1 of the leaves looks alittle burned along the edge on 1 side. The color is good. Could it be HVX? The other leaves look ok. :cry:
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Hi, and welcome to the Hallson forums. Are you able to post a picture?
If just fried a little along the edges it is likely just from stress. You can always isolate it from your other hostas for a year and observe.
Read and learn.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
lmcclure

Post by lmcclure »

My digital camera is on the blink. Maybe I can get one and send it later. I was reading more forums. I have about 25 hostas. Only 6 new ones. I may take a leaf from each and take it to the Co Extension Office for them to send off.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

HVX won't cause burned edges. It causes odd discoloration on otherwise "normal" looking leaves. In a variegated hosta the strange colors tend to be confined to the darker center and will start out by following the veins.

Burned edges would be more likely caused by the late effects of frost damage or some other kind of stress like cheryl mentioned.

The extension office should be able to diagnose the problem a little more but I don't believe what you described would warrant any kind of testing.

So I wouldn't worry about what you are seeing now. Still, keep an eye on any new purchases for the next few years and always disinfect tools every time you touch a hosta plant. We use rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and then wipe it clean with a paper towel.

Hope that helps :D

Chris
lmcclure

Post by lmcclure »

Makes me feel better. :D
Bill Meyer

Post by Bill Meyer »

Hi Chris and all,

I thought you might find this picture interesting. It is HVX-infected Undulata Albomarginata. Note the crunched-up white edge, and the burned edge too on the leaves showing symptoms.

From what I've seen so far, there is no discoloration in white tissue. It gets even more crinkled, but seems to stay the same color. Also, the spots of symptomatic tissue seem much less resistant to sunburn, and tend to turn brown even in shade before the season ends. So, if it is crinkled-up more than it should be and burns more easily than it should - it might be HVX.

Just wanted to add some observations. [/img]
Attachments
HVX in Undulata Albomarginata
HVX in Undulata Albomarginata
If you thought the auction was fun, come to the meeting!
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks for the picture Bill.

On the Albomarginata that I had last year that showed HVX I didn't have any burned edges. Actually, the white edges were barely showing and it had the same distorted look.

But I agree, a hosta with HVX may be stressed and show secondary problems. Sort of like my non-growing Diamond Tiara... It should be a weed but after 2 years they were just not growing. This year they are showing signs of the virus which explains it all. That also meant they were never decent enough to sell, so there was a plus side to it, that's for sure :???:
lmcclure

Post by lmcclure »

The edges are normal looking. Just looks like someone took a match to the edge of a piece of paper and burned it alittle. It is only about a 1 1/2 long at the very edge.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Welcome to the forum! I'll be sure to throw out the welcome mat for you in our "Welcome Forum", so please do stop in there and tell us a bit about yourself and your gardens. :)
My first thought when you posted is that it described spring burn, which happens in the lighter margins...if I have that right? Several of my plants had that appearance and I posted a pic on the forums to confirm that was what I was dealing with. Never the less, I am trying to be extra cautious with any of my plants. HVX can infect a hosta and not show visible signs for several years, so it's best to just handle them all as possible carriers.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
lmcclure

Post by lmcclure »

Here is the leaf I was talking about.
Attachments
Diana Remembered
Diana Remembered
Liselotte

Diana Remembered

Post by Liselotte »

DR was new this year and they did get a touch of Frost, but only 3 weeks later did a leaf look like this.
Attachments
Diana Remembered
Diana Remembered
Liselotte

Aristocrat

Post by Liselotte »

Aristocrat is an other one on my HVX suspect list.
Attachments
Aristocrat.jpg
Liselotte

Aristocrat

Post by Liselotte »

Aristocrat came from Holland last year and did look perfect all season. It is growing in the same low area where we had a touch of frost for the second time this week. This picture was taken when all surounding Hostas looked just fine.I have 9 plants, only one looks perfect. # 10 went to a friend last year and she insists her plant looks perfectly beautiful.
Am I too paranoid? :bd:
lmcclure

Post by lmcclure »

I guess I have had DR alittle over week now. 2 new leaves have come up. The one the pic still looks the same. Maybe I am getting paranoid also. :o Just hate to loose any of my hostas! :cry:
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Paranoia is common these days :roll:
Too bad it is that way, only thing we can do is to take care and bye from good nurseries

Liselotte, send a PM with your address, my Aristocrat is from 2003 and look perfect
It have worked before with Bert, so.... do not say nothing :wink:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Imcclure

Look like a sunburn to me, common if the hosta have been grown in a greenhouse and them left in the sun or if a water drop is hit by a sunbeam, the looking glass effect, frost damage can be a topic too.... we had frosts in May :evil: , so I know for sure how they look :evil:

Othervise your hosta look fine, so enjoy

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply