Well I tried at Walmart.....

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Tundra_Queen

Well I tried at Walmart.....

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Hi
I went to Walmart today and spotted some Gold Standards that looked very strange. I asked to speak to the manager but he was away for a week, so I spoke to an assistant manager.

I showed him the plants, he didn't know what a hosta was, and showed him the ones I thought looked infected, went thru the whole thing with him. Told him they needed to be pulled, gave him the literature with the website listed for this forum and he said he would have to get in touch with head office before he started pulling the plants off the shelves.

I told him he couldn't sell them because other people's hostas would get sick and just because they didn't look infected didn't mean they weren't. I also told him that it was not Walmart's fault, but the growers they got them from.

He was very polite, admitted he didn't know much about plants and that I probably knew more than him, so I hope he will destroy them.

Debbie

newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I wouldn't count on it. They probably won't do anything unless someone "official" in the company tells them to pull them. Or if the Dept. of Ag. comes in and tells them they can't sell them.

I'm glad you were "armed" and ready, Debbie. We just need to keep trying to spread the word.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply