Pineapple upsidedown cake....

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

mamawsdaughter

Pineapple upsidedown cake....

Post by mamawsdaughter »

I did my mid morning walk today, and was of course inspecting my hostas...and what did I see on my Pineapple upsidedown cake...very bad discoloration and bumps....I will try to get a picture of it soon...I am so upset....it is in the ground next to lunar eclipse...if I have to dig it up, I am going to seriously be bummed...I am pretty sure it is HVX, but hopefully I am wrong....maybe it is just damage from DH cleaning the upper deck and stuff dropping all over the plant...hopefully that is what it is...

seriously bummed,

mamawsdaughter
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Don't react too soon. Pineapple Upside Down cake goes through some normal but seriously odd color changes. So does Pineapple Juice.

Can you post or email a picture? If so I might be able to tell if it is a correct color change or possible HVX.
mamawsdaughter

Post by mamawsdaughter »

Chris, I will post as soon as possible...I am very concerned...thank you for responding so quickly...

mamawsdaughter
mamawsdaughter

Post by mamawsdaughter »

here is a leaf from pineapple upsidedown cake
Attachments
hvx.jpg
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Well, it is hard to tell. The odd looking edge looks like frost damage or some other kind of damage that would have occurred when the eyes were just poking out. The spots might be from the same thing. I don't really see any of the color bleed, but sometimes hostas will show some spots first and then the color bleed along the veins later.

Do the other leaves look okay? If I had this hosta I would watch it and see how the new foliage turns out. If all of the new foliage looks good it is probably fine, but I would keep an eye on it.

Finally, does it have any kind of green margin to it? PUDC is yellow with a dark green margin. Pineapple Juice is solid yellow with no margin. I've seen a lot of PUDC sold without the margin :???:
mamawsdaughter

Post by mamawsdaughter »

Chris,

Yes there are more leaves just like this one...and also there is a green margin on most of the leaves...I will just keep an eye on it for now...I saw it this morning and was just so worried...still concerned about it...thank you so much for responding so quickly....

mamawsdaughter
Liselotte

Frost last night

Post by Liselotte »

Sorry, messed up this post!
The leaves are from Abba Dabba Do and H. ventricosa Aureomarginata
Attachments
frost June 8.jpg
T of frost abba.jpg
Last edited by Liselotte on Jun 08, 2005 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liselotte

Frost last night

Post by Liselotte »

We had frost in some low areas. Being paranoid about this Virus, I check Hostas every day. if these Hosta had not looked perfect last night, I would probably worry about the HVX
:bd:
We had several frost while the Hostas were unfurling and I find a lot of leaves that look bad.
Attachments
frost June 8.jpg
mooie

Post by mooie »

So Liselotte, what you are saying is, that the spots that first appear as white after a frost will turn to this blue color a bit later down the road as the days heat up? Just wondered cuz I'm starting to see a lot of this on plants at work and was getting kinda worried.

mooie
~Imagine~
New Topic Post Reply