Hope I didn't make a mistake!?!

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

grdnnkd

Hope I didn't make a mistake!?!

Post by grdnnkd »

Well I know that I have my 1st case of HVX :evil:

How does this virus spread?

The reason I am asking is this:

I didn't know that I had purchased a virused plant at the time as the pot of Striptease I purchased looked healthy. I went on vacation for a few days and left this pot and a few others in a large pan holding water so they wouldn't dry out before getting home. Would the virus be transferred through Stripteases roots to the water to the other Hosta roots?

It's been about a month since I had done this and only yesterday did I notice the veins of Striptease turning brown and squiggly.

I really hope I didn't make a huge mistake!

Also, if HVX is transferred this way, how long before the other hostas start showing symptoms of HVX -days, months, years??

Thanks
grdnnkd's Hosta List
Latitude: 46° 78' N; Longitude: -92° 12' W
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Hi
I'm no expert, but I would say yes it could be transferred to the other hostas. But I'm not 100% positive. They might be ok, if none of the roots were damaged.

I know that people were saying don't soak more than one hosta in one bucket of water at a time and I would think that would also mean throw the water out in between soakings and disinfect the bucket before put another plant in it to soak.

Others are much more knowloedgable on this than me though, so don't panic yet.

Debbie

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Debbie hit the nail on the head - there is a slight chance that the virus could be spread in water, but the roots of Striptease would have to be damaged for the virus to get out and the roots of the other plants would have to be damaged for the virus to get in to get in. I would say your chances of spreading it this way are very slim.

Plants shipped by mail order have often been divided and the roots might be cut, and it is at these damaged points that the virus can leave one plant and enter another, plus if the roots have been vigorously washed some of the outer layer of root material might be damaged a little.

I did a couple tests where I soaked some hostas in a bucket for a few days and went back to check the water periodically. I did it this spring when it was very cool and left the bucket in the coldest part of the house so that I wouldn't have algae forming. After a day or so I could see plant material floating around in the water so that's why I stick to the idea that it could spread in a bucket if cut plants sat in it long enough. I don't have any hard proof that it could occur, but wouldn't want to risk it.

However, with potted hostas and no damage they should be fine. I would be more worried about these hostas already having HVX from the grower that processed them.

Depending on the variety of plant it could take a year to several years to show visible symptoms, which is why this virus has spread so much and why growers don't have a handle on how far this has spread through their fields.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Did you say the veins were brown and squigly? I thought the veins would get dark green with that "Sharpie pen on newsprint" look. Maybe it is nematodes or sun damage? Any chance of a pic? Or have you already tossed It?

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
grdnnkd

Post by grdnnkd »

Kas-

Here's a pic. I think it is HVX.

grdnnkd's Hosta List
grdnnkd

Post by grdnnkd »

All-

I did ask this question of Professor Lockhart. Both my question and his answer are below. Thought others may be interested.

My question to Professor Lockhart:
I am contacting you for assistance in locating information on the Hosta Virus X. I have been surfing the web and you name seems to be associated with many of the topics. The topic I am most interested in is how the virus is spread. I have read that the transfer occurs in the "sap", but have not been able to find extension bulletins or guides discussing this topic.

Recently, I purchased what I believed to be a healthy hosta (now showing symptoms of HVX). I went on a weeks vacation and left this plant and others in a tray of water, so they would not dry out as I was still preparing the bed. All of the plants were nursery grown in pots and as far as I can tell no "sap" was transferred. Will this virus exude from the roots, get in the water and affect the other plants? I am thinking yes, but trying to get an expert opinion. Thanks in advance to for your reply.

Professor Lockhart’s Reply:
Hosta virus X (HVX) is spread when sap from an infected plant enters a wounded surface of a healthy plant. No infection will occur if the leaf surface is uninjured because the virus is unable to penetrate the surface. The virus can therefore be spread when sap from an infected plant contaminates tools or fingers and then comes into contact with a wounded surface of a healthy plant during cutting or handling. The virus cannot be spread through water or by insects. I hope that this answers your questions. If not, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Ben E. Lockhart, Professor
Department of Plant Pathology
University of Minnesota
St.Paul, MN 55108-6030
grdnnkd's Hosta List
Kas

Post by Kas »

Grdnnkd, thanks for the pic. You are absolutely correct! That is HVX. Glad to hear that just water won't spread the virus unless there is damage to the plants involved. I still have my doubts about insects not spreading it. What about slug saliva? I'm kidding sort of. It's a scary thing. Glad I haven't seen it in my garden yet.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Justme

Post by Justme »

SLUG SALIVA :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: What an ecky thought.

Well, HIV isn't passed by insect bites in humans becouse of the saliva! Saliva kills the visus, so hopefully it works the same with HVX and slug juice.

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
New Topic Post Reply