Well here goes nothin...

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

mooie

Well here goes nothin...

Post by mooie »

I found out yesterday that the Langeveld salesman is coming in today to start working on next years perennial order. When he stopped in a few weeks ago, I hit him with HVX. It was a total surprise to him, he had no idea what it was. So I spent time last night compliling a folder with all of Chris' info and lots of pics etc, to have ready to hand him when he comes in. :D Actually I made two of them, one he can take over to the wholesale division with him when he goes to visit them. I'm in quite a dilemmna here. The garden center where I work, buys quite a bit in from the nursery, more nursery stock than anything but they do get in hostas from the nursery when our own stock is gone. I have walked thru a few patches of their 2 yr old potted hostas and wasn't happy with what I saw. Lots of frost damage to be sure but was truly upset when I pulled the virused striptease out of the middle of a block of Patriots. I never even got to last years plants or what they got in this year. I did inform them about the Striptease and actually brought the plant back to the garden center to show my bosses what the disease looks like. They truly do not understand the scope of this problem. Most likely because the sheer amount of plants they would have to destroy just to keep from passing along the HVX. They certainly are not going to listen to 'me'. It's going to take a state offical or salesmen actually taking responsibility for what they sell and requesting that it be destroyed before the nursery actually does something. So the best I can do at this point is to keep passing along this information to whoever will take the time to read it. I do not actively try to sell any hosta and do not put them into any landscape designs. Best I can do at this point.
At least Chris and Brian had the courage to face what is going on, take the hit, and prepare for the next few years with clean stock. Takes guts to do that. And thanks for doing that! :D
I also contacted a place in Indiana called Agdia, which does Elisa testing. Fairly pricey however. If there's a cheaper place, I'd like to find it. The U of I plant clinic does not do HVX testing. :(

Sorry for the rambling. :oops: Just gets to me somedays!!

mooie
~Imagine~
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Mooie,

I've been trying to get in touch with people here in Michigan to do the testing and it is pricey too. At Michigan State University they have a pathology lab and quoted me $25 to test for HVX by ELISA and they just got the supplies ordered for it.

I may go back to the University of Minnesota, Plant Pathology Department. They've been testing for HVX long enough now. Last year I think I had read a price of $25 for the first sample and $5 for each additional. But don't quote me on that. I'll have to find out more. But if that is right that price is almost affordable.

Good luck with the sales rep!

Chris
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

I too, got in touch with the people up at Michigan State and a couple of weeks ago they wanted $40, so the $25 is a little more reasonable, but not free like MN.
maybe if more people write to them they can get funding from somewhere. Like they did in MN or a Grant from MSU
This is the address where I wrote her at MSU Jan Byrne Plant Pathology Diagnostician- byrnejm@msu.edu
Phone 517-355-3504
Lucille
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

First I thought it was a bad and nasty rumor, but now I have heard it from several serous gardeners

" will they belive the things you tell them if you told them this: " In the last years the Frence goverment have ordered all fuksias ...fuksia burned due to a virus sicknes, yes ...private and nurseries ???" "
One thing I know for sure I have not seen a pic of fuksia this year in one garden magazine at all. And there is less than 10 % of normal for sale here :o

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
mooie

Post by mooie »

Hi ya's,

Well I think the meeting with the sales rep went well. Since I had last talked with him about HVX, he had done his research, has read Chris' articles and posts and checked out all the information at the hosta library. He was happy to see that Langevelds name was not on the list. He tried to assure me that they are seriously testing. Indeed he said they had a batch of Blue Cadet come thru virused and they were destroyed. It was with great trepidation that we ordered some hosta. Guess we will find out next spring how true it is. :???:

mooie
~Imagine~
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

I hope your results are better than a grower here in Ohio who gets all their plugs from Langeveld. Just got the results back from the University of Minnesota: HVX on Sugar and Cream, So Sweet, Sum & Substance, Golden Tiara, Gold Standard. Sorry I couldn't get this posted sooner for you Mooie.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Buckeye,

Thank you for sharing. I knew it wouldn't be long before someone found the virus in their stock. It would be a big surprise for a wholesaler from Holland to NOT have the virus at this point...

Chris
mooie

Post by mooie »

Thanks Buckeye! I figgered as much.....I was soooo nervous ordering the hosta. We didn't order any of those but still....think that part of the order will be cancelled. I have no clue as where to get them from.....What are ya sposed to do??? :o

mooie
~Imagine~
New Topic Post Reply