Roundup?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Kas

Roundup?

Post by Kas »

I don't have any confirmed cases of HVX in my garden, but who knows anymore? My question is, would it be a safer bet to paint roundup on the leaves and let the sucker just rot in the ground rather than risk possible sap transfer? Just a thought.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Kas,

Last year I accidentally sprayed an Earth Angel with roundup. Soaked it was more like it. I noticed it a couple days after I sprayed, removed the yellowed leaves, dug it up and moved it - thinking that it wouldn't ever be back. Guess what - that sucker is now coming back!

I've thought about spraying roundup on them, though, when throwing them in the trash to further reduce their chances of growing out of a plastic bag in the landfill...
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

I ususally try to burn infected plants, whether bulbs or what not. I let them dry out and toss them in the fire pit under the big logs. I hate putting infected anything or antibiotics in the landfill, so I just don't.... Jmho. :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Kas

Post by Kas »

I am askin if it wouldn't be a better idea to kill the plant before digging and possibly injuring neighboring hosta roots. Because if you injure the infected roots and also the healthy roots, aren't you risking infecting the healthy plant? That is my question.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Kas,

What I was trying to say was that even though I sprayed a baby TC of Earth Angel with roundup it did not kill it. It only top killed the plant and it still came back from the crown.

So you would really have to soak the hosta and possibly spray it repeatedly. Even then it might not kill it all. I think digging is a little better, but it could still be worth a try I guess.

And about cutting into neighboring roots, I suppose it is possible to spread it that way. Do you have one that is in the midst of a large group?
Kas

Post by Kas »

Thanks Chris. I guess that proves that it really is hard to kill a hosta :lol: ! No, I do not have any HVX that I know about. I sent a bunch of weird looking leaves to Dr. Lockhart last year, but they all came back negative. He even tested some of them twice because they looked so strange, but he couldn't detect any virus of any kind. So I am happy about that, but still don't completely trust anything anymore. I was just asking because of the post about Jody's Parhelion and S & S. It got me thinking. I have a June that really looks bizzare again this year, so I need to get a pic and post it. It is one I sent to Dr. Ben, but I guess it could take a while to test positve if it is. The only thing is this plant is from a clump at a local nursery that has been in the ground for years. That's not to say it couldn't have been infected at the nursery from clippers or being divided. But it isn't a product of the Dutch crap that has been coming over.

Kas
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Kas, I was laying in bed last night thinking about this very thing.

My hostas are planted very close together and I was wondering if it wouldn't be safer to spray the infected one with roundup and let the roots die rather than digging it up and possibly hitting the roots of a healthy hosta.

Chris your hosta sounds very strong. :lol:

Debbie

New Topic Post Reply