Testing for Virus X in Michigan

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Primroselane

Testing for Virus X in Michigan

Post by Primroselane »

Hosta Virus X testing
Jan Byrne
MSU Diagnostic Services
In the last few weeks I have received many inquiries about testing for hosta virus X (see Mike Bryan’s article in the May 13, 2005 Landscape Alert for information about this disease). Diagnostic Services is now able to test for this virus, testing is done with an ELISA test kit.

Symptomatic foliage should be sent to the lab via overnight or priority mail. Only live foliage should be submitted. Foliage should be packaged in a sealable plastic bag and shipped in a box, preferably not in an envelope. Do not add any excess moisture to the sample. A completed submittal form should be included with each sample, attached to the outside of the plastic bag. Forms are available on the lab’s web site (www.pestid.msu.edu) or at county extension offices.

The fee for this service is $25 per sample. Results will be completed in 3-5 days. Contact me Jan Byrne at Michigan State for large volume pricing or with any questions (517-355-3504).
Lucille
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Thanks for the info, Lucille!
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
impatience

Post by impatience »

Wow! That sure does add to the price of gardening. Sure am glad someone is doing it tho.
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
janet

Post by janet »

Thanks for posting that, Lucille. After all the tuition, room, board, fees, labs, books, and yes, parking tickets I paid to get DD through there, do you think they'd give me a discount?? :-?
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

I think perhaps they should update their prices online, as they have the 'In house ELISA test' still listed as $20.00

http://www.pestid.msu.edu/services/fees.html

$5 is $5 dollars towards a replacement hosta in my world :wink:
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

I did write and ask her if they could get some "Grant" money or something to help fund the cost of the testing, as this amount is a hardship for most of us Gardeners,and this is what she replied.
To Lucille
I do not have any resources that can be used to reduce the costs of this test. For those that can't afford the testing I recommend removing any symptomatic plants, better safe than sorry. MDA does seem to be doing a better job of scouting and testing for this virus in nurseries and retail stores.

Jan Byrne
Lucille
janet

Post by janet »

Please note the small print on the MSU website:

"NOTE: Fees for Out-of-State samples Are double." :evil:
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
New Topic Post Reply