What are the long term results of the virus

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

LynneM

What are the long term results of the virus

Post by LynneM »

This question was posed in another post, but it didn't really get answered, I think it may have been misunderstood.

I understand what the physical signs are of the virus. But what happens to the plant if you just leave it? What are the long term effects of the virus? I know you the virus can be spread by tools, and that is one danger of leaving the hosta, but what else? Does the plant eventually die?
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I'm not sure of the effects on the original host plant, but I am very sure I don't want to take the chance that every hosta in my yard has the HVX discoloration.

If I buy a hosta because I like the way it looks, I want it to stay looking that way LOL!

Alexa
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

It seems to me that I read in the Hosta Journal that infected plants will eventually show decreased vigor and stunting (along with the discoloration and contorted leaves).....which is a bad enough result if you're trying to grow big, beautiful healthy plants in your garden.....but I thought I also saw somewhere that eventual plant death would occur...but I can't seem to recall where I saw that? Maybe Chris will have an answer for us.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Lynne,

Some plants with HVX will continue to grow, and grow just fine, but the discoloration will get worse and worse as it matures. Other plants will be stunted and distorted. I don't know of any case where the virus directly killed a plant and I wouldn't expect that to be the case.

Diamond Tiara and Golden Tiara, as examples, will be very stunted and will not multiply or flourish the way you would expect. Blue Cadet will also be stunted, leaves will get distorted and they just won't be as vigorous. Often times increased fertilizer will help these plants fight off the effects and grow better, which is what a lot of growers do anyway - pump up plants with fertilizer to make them appear more vigorous and more sellable - but when the fertilizer is shut off they will show symptoms worse than ever...

Because the plants are not as healthy they may have trouble over the winter or have other problems that become too much for them to handle and they might die from those stresses. But I don't think there is any evidence that the plants themselves will ever die from the virus. If the virus killed the plants that would be the best thing in the world as they would simply die off and the problem would be solved.

The scariest part of this whole epidemic is that plants can carry the virus for years, look fine, grow fine, then all of a sudden the concentration of HVX will get high enough and you will have the worst looking case ever. Sum & Substance seems to be one of those cases. I've heard of several cases now where plants of S & S were purchased 4, 5, or 6 years ago before suddenly showing symptoms of the virus. In all cases where the source was known the plants originated in Holland.

It is extremely important that once any plant shows symptoms of the virus it is destroyed. These plants have the greatest concentration of the virus and the greatest chances of spreading it.
Last edited by Chris_W on Jul 17, 2005 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

I agree Chris, the long term story is scarry

3 years ago I bought a bag of bare root hostas, no name, but some of them could be Bickwood Parky Gold, just after they unfurled they got blue dots,...fact , I thought they were nice. By luck I never got them planted, late summer all the funny blue dots was brown holes.. just like the holes you see with the looking glass effect (sunshine after a rain, where the rain drops works like looking glasss to the sunbeam)... they were so ungly I trow them out ...sometimes you are lucky :evil:
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
LynneM

Post by LynneM »

Chris, thank you for the answer. I have a gold tiara that I recieved in a trade 2 years ago, 2 leaves have spotting. I'll post a pic tomorrow, but for such a cheap hosta, I think I'll just go ahead and get rid of it.
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Chris,
Is there any chance that slugs and aphids will pass the virus on to other hostas?
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

According to Dr. Lockhart, HVX and related potex viruses are not spread by insects. However, the idea of it being spread by animals like deer or rabbits was posed to him and he said there may be a remote possibility.
New Topic Post Reply