So Sweet with virus

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

lmcclure

So Sweet with virus

Post by lmcclure »

This evening i noticed my So Sweet with mottled leaves and some dead ones. I bought it back the early part of April. Here is my problem. I planted it in the bed with some older hostas before I dug them up. Before I started digging them up I noticed and leaf coming up next to So Sweet. It was my Revolution that didn't come up last year. It was about 4 inches away from So Sweet. I dug it up and moved it. Then about a month later I decided to dig them all up and put in pots. I only moved a few at a time. About 2-3 days in between. I never thought about cleaning my shovel. How long does the virus stay on the shovel?
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Good question! I wondered that back this spring when I started, and never got around to asking. Some virus don't die for years, so I am curious to see if any one can answer this. Hopefully not long, but I bet it can :(
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Based on what I've read I would guess that once the plant sap starts to dry the virus isn't alive anymore. I wouldn't seem to think much would transfer to a shovel, let alone survive 2 or 3 days. Would be a good question for Dr. Lockhart.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

It would be a good thing to know. If all fails, I'd get a couple more of everything and just use them every 3rd day. Heck, besides the pitch fork, I think I have at least 2 now of everything! :lol:

Do you have 'access' to ask him Chris?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply