What's the best way to destroy infected plants?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

moonflowerde

Post by moonflowerde »

How do you suggest they be destroyed? What about the surrounding soil-how is that effected?
Peg
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you,but he will make a fool of himself too.
Samuel Butler (1835-1902)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Peggy,

Last year I burned plants in our bonfire pit. This year I wrapped up the plants in black plastic and left them out in 90+ degree weather for a few days before wrapping them up with the rest of the trash in another bag. I really hate to send things like this to the landfill but so long as the plants are dead the virus will be dead too.

I am considering spraying the plants and roots with roundup next time before throwing them away to help with their demise. The roundup might not kill them completely but being wrapped in plastic should finish then finish them off.

The virus does not live in soil. It is genetic material that will only live within the Hosta cellular material. Even roots left behind will eventually rot and die killing any remaining virus.

We had two problems last year when it came to burning. 1) We had so many plants piled up that it didn't burn hot enough and it didn't kill them right away. We actually had plants growing out of the fire pit in the spring. and 2) We had a bunch of plants thrown on the fire pit waiting to be burned and someone stole them, probably thinking they were rescuing them. There were about 40 or more plants out there... So now we remove all the soil or potting soil and then wrap them up for the trash.

If you have a large mature plant the roundup method might be worth a try as you couldn't throw something that large away. With this method I would still dig it up, then spray the leaves - top and bottom - and spray the roots. After making sure it was dead or dying see if you have a spot far away where you could just bury the corpse...

Hope that helps.

Chris
moonflowerde

Post by moonflowerde »

To my knowledge I don't have any with the virus..I haven't bought any hostas in well over a year..and most I have came from you in 91-93.
After the second tree came down this sring we are still rescuing hostas and trying to move some.. damaged but no visial signs of virus..
good info to have..thanks.
Peggy
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you,but he will make a fool of himself too.
Samuel Butler (1835-1902)
New Topic Post Reply