U of Minnesota Plant Pathology Lab for HVX

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Hosta Lady of Anoka

U of Minnesota Plant Pathology Lab for HVX

Post by Hosta Lady of Anoka »

I just got off the phone with the Plant Pathology Lab at the University of Minnesota.

Initial HVX test is $25.00 and each additional sample sent at the same time is $5.00. I know that Chris mentioned this before, but I thought I would repost. Great news if you need to send lots of samples.

Address :
University of Minnesota
Plant Disease Lab
495 Borlaug Hall
1991 Upper Buford Circle
St. Paul, MN 55108-6030

Hours are Tuesday-Friday
8:00 - 4:30 p.m.

I was told this morning that they pick up samples twice a day from mail or samples that are dropped at the lab location. I think this is the same address of Dr. Lockhart ????

Hope this helps?
Hosta Lady of Anoka
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks!
janet

Post by janet »

I, regretfully, need to send a sample off to Dr. Lockhart for testing. Could someone please give me the details of what needs to be sent (paperwork? multiple leaves? entire petiole?) and how it needs to be packaged (ziplock bag with no extra moisture, right? labeled?). The MSU site is very explicit, and that's where I was going to send it, but their fees are double for out of state tests. :evil: I have had very poor luck searching for this information so it seems easier just to ask you guys. :oops: Or just show me where it's spelled out and I'll go there. Sorry to be so stupid! :o
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Janet,

Cut off the leaves and put them in a ziploc bag with no extra moisture. Label the bag with a name for the sample. If you have a lot you could number them and then keep a separate list of what each one is. If you only have a couple just label them with the name of the hosta.

When I send several samples I also write the number of the sample on a leaf remaining on the plant that is in the ground so I know exactly which one was sampled and which number it got.

Send 3 or 4 leaves off the plant. I've heard to send the freshest and I've also heard to send the oldest from the clump, so I send a newer, fully open leaf and an older leaf, and definitely take samples of the most symptomatic leaves.

I cut low on the petioles when I take them, and be sure to thoroughly clean your scissors or pruners before moving to the next plant.

They say to send overnight although I've always just sent priority mail and there weren't any delays.

I hope that helps!

Chris
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

Here is the website for the University of Minnesota lab:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distributi ... C3170.html

From there you can download a sample submission form, and they recommend mailing samples at the beginning of the week.
janet

Post by janet »

Thanks guys! Buckeye, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Pandora also sent me the UNH info. They test for $15 up front and bill you for the balance on virus tests. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what the total fee is for HVX testing. Thanks again.
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
New Topic Post Reply