Good-bye, Striptease (sigh ...) ???

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Richiegirl

Good-bye, Striptease (sigh ...) ???

Post by Richiegirl »

The Strip I have been watching carefully is showing what I think may be the beginning of overt HVX symptoms, but ... ??? A few of the leaves have a little ink blot greening just inside the white line demarcation. The plant is extremely vigorous and looks beautiful. Is this the way it is with Striptease? So many of the other cultivars look quite sickly when they have HVX. To be absolutely positive, should I wait some more until there are very clear multiple green stripes in the yellow center? The ones I see right now are very small, and the demarcation between the yellow center and green outer portion of the leaf is not real clear. There is a lot of white lining on the leaves this year, stopping and starting, etc. and I just don't know how normal this is either. Some pictures of Striptease show a very defined separation of the colors with a single white line between that is thick and then thin, but straight and pretty much unbroken. Is that the "real" Striptease? Is there more than one "look" to this one? I need some help!

Richelle
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Richelle,

Any pictures? If you aren't sure it could be normal. HVX in Striptease is pretty distinct these days. It usually starts with some odd, darker spotting in the center, then the darker ink bleed along the veins, then the dark color reaches from one vein to the other.
morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Post by morgansrgr8 »

Mine didn't do the dark spotting thing. It just looked off to me so I had it tested. It was doing the bleeding like you said but I that doesn't mean for sure it has it. If I don't have it tested it doesn't get ousted until the spots or dark veins appear.

They sure are a healthy bunch when they are happy. Mine was into its growth year and it was a beauty. Made me sick digging it up.

Hope yours isn't sick. Right now I'm keeping an eye on a Pauls Glory.

Forgot to add there was a bit of distortion in the leaf. Like part of it was missing and it reattached itself together. It just didn't look right. You know how they sometimes look when they got to cold. But these were all year coming up this way.
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply