FAQ - List of infected or possibly infected plants

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

rakenleafs

Post by rakenleafs »

Thanks Chris, thats what I thought. The bottom line is what was registered through AHS, unless a correction has been made, and approved, goes?

Fran
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit..
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
rakenleafs Hosta Lists
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Being on holidays at the moment, I have found some spare time to visit a couple of nurseries in the Greater Vancouver area that I hadn't blessed with my presence yet this year. And I'm not sure they were pleased to have been blessed, because at one I found HVX infected 'Zounds' and an 'S&S' that was rather small, 3 years old tops judging by its size. And the other had a batch of 'Paul's Glory' that was clearly infected. All three noted cases of infection came from the same supplier using a blue background tag with a red border around the image on the tag if memory serves - and that's less and less these days, but that's another story. Both nurseries appeared to be unaware of HVX and its prevalence, which is somewhat surprising given the size of one of them.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
Summer Music

Paul's Glory

Post by Summer Music »

I was at a large reputable nursery in the Kansas City area over the weekend. There were two Paul's Glory hosta left, both obviously virused. I told an employee about it, she looked at them and immediately removed them from their inventory.
Marlene
Canadian-hosta-girl

Post by Canadian-hosta-girl »

ok i am new here and since i love hosta and collect them and started big gardens just for them , after reading all this it is making me wanna stop buying hostas all together.....
:(

i am trying to educate myself too by reading everyones posts on virus and hosta growing.... :)

just this year i bought over 50 variaties :eek: , can you imagine the money too we spend in these and that nurseries and distributors are being so careless with this :evil: ....

i keep reading that Holland is a major problem so why not stop buying from those distributors for awhile ? get the word out not to buy there and boycott them ? maybe after they loose some money they will get the point to do something ? we boycott in Canada gas station for the high gas prices but hell it doesnt make our engine explode but those they are making more plant sick isnt it a good reason to boycott them ? ....

this is also why i always for years have been fancy to try to by a division of a mature plant from hosta nurseries or hosta places , not always possible cause we just love them so much and want to have them right away before they get around everywhere to have the time to be the first to grow them in our gardens .....i admit this is not a good choice to do but i am a hosta shopaolic LOL ....

but i will never ever and have never bough any root , mail order , or chain store hostas just for that.....i need to see what i am buying and if it is a division i am seing the plant i got it from too...

i have been purchasing hosta at a garden center/ nurserie for many years now and i always ask for large hosta size pot that they have usually grown a few years or will divide from their display gardens.....because thats the thing with new hosta they have barely 3 to 4 leaves when purchased and tey dont even have their coloring in yet or leaf shape so how can you tell ? i bought a few this year so i will angst with this for few years to come now....

why i like a division from a more mature hosta well you see if he as a problem before buying it and it grows faster too in your garden you at least get to see what he should look like ...and it comes back to this yes divisions from those hosta or bigger size one are way more expensive too....

other thing i have noticed this year , alot didnt have the tags with photos on them so we dont get to know their origin they all came with little with arrow tags handwritten even for the tiny newer ones....hummmmm makes you wonder ....

anyway i was just venting my opinion and say here , i am glad to be purchasing from caring hosta garden places that are aware something is out there and they are also knowledgable to help you out in case something arise and will also refund your money , but even they are not without risk of getting it because they have to get new stuff to the market as well....

when i went to the garden place this week to have my hosta bottom line checked out they told us some horro stories they have gone true with some peranials like clematis, they got infected just by cloth touching plant to another plant....and here in Quebec province where i am from they also said it was their worse year for fungus , bacteria , pest etc problems because of the weird weather we got all spring and summer...and i must agree because i have hundreds of peranials and this year i saw things i never saw before ....

i never have been looking at my hostas and perannial as much up close then this year ....it is getting a paranoia for those poor family related people around me that doesnt understand the "passion" i have around this.....

i hope this hosta problem stops and gets under control soon ...i have such a long list for next year of nice hosta i was hoping to get and i am almost scared to get them now...

thanks for listening ;)

Canadian-hosta-girl
Canadian-hosta-girl

Post by Canadian-hosta-girl »

PS , special thanks to Chris , i dont personally know you but you have quickly answered me this week , you are one good guy to tell everyone here if they have a problem or not and for free too , taking the time to care about unkown people asking with their problems , not everyone would be so kind , so thanks for doing this :)

Canadian-hosta-girl
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Any updates this year, Chris?

The nursery I mentioned last year again had virused Royal Standard this weekend (they had just come in). Plus a few S&S showing symptoms, so they were probably all infected. But a first: an apparently virused Stained Glass :cry:

The owner had one of the nursery boys pull up a cart to haul them all away, but I didn't stand there and police any further. It's a pity, because the rest of their stock looks pretty good. I just have to know to ask which grower each plant came from, and buy them before they've had a chance to cross-contaminate them on the display tables. Then their prices are another matter…
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

So far of what I've brought in this year only one NEW casualty to report: Infected Hosta 'Gypsy Rose'. I should have known better, but I believed they were TC plants, so I thought the chances would be lower that they were infected. Either the stock plant was infected or they were contaminated in packing/shipping.

Other than that I've only seen the usual suspects.
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

Canadian-Hosta-Girl . . .
. . . but i will never ever and have never bough any root , mail order , or chain store hostas just for that.....i need to see what i am buying and if it is a division i am seing the plant i got it from too...
You can be confident in ordering from Chris and Brian . . . they're more on-top of this problem than anyone else I've seen! There aren't many mail order places I'd trust, but I'd feel safe ordering anything from Hallson's . . .
graceful_garden

Post by graceful_garden »

Hi! I'm brand new here, and fairly new to hostas in general. I just learned of HVX, and, in what appears to be a rather typical response, am "freaking out" :eek: and seeing HVX on every Hosta I look at! Chris - are you still diagnosing (for a donation) if people send you leaves? I read about it in a post from last year, but, for all I know, you have 7,000 leaves in plastic baggies in your office awaiting diagnoses! I'm not sure I could take a good enough picture, or even figure out how to post one! :oops: Thanks for a very informative forum!
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

I have admired hosta beds for years. This year we had to dig up a section in the front of our house to stop water from entering the basement and then the front walk which is brick had to be reset, and then the beds that were out front weren’t that nice... so I decided to put in some hostas and some daylilies on the other side of the walkway, my dream garden.
I finally found the Dave’s Garden site and found a grower who I still assume is reputable but his site never mentioned virus x. I was thrilled with my plants and put them in. Then I found your site. I have been worried ever since. Here is my hosta list and you will note that 15 of them are on either list 9 on neither list:
Name Source Virus X Group
Antioch BWG 2
August Moon BWG 2
Blue Angel BWG
Diamond Tiara BWG 2
Elegans BWG
Fortunei Aureomarginata BWG 2
Francee BWG
Gold Standard BWG 1
Guacamole BWG 2
Halcyon BWG 1
Krossa Regal BWG 2
Liberty DSH
Night Before Christmas BWG 2
Orange Marmalade DSH
Patriot BWG 2
Risky Business BWG
Royal Standard BWG 2
Sagae BWG 2
So Sweet BWG 1
Striptease BWG 1
Sum and Substance BWG 1
Tokudama Aureonebulosa BWG
Whirlwind DSH
Wide Brim BWG

:cry:
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

Could we start a new updated list?
I know Chris is really busy this time of year, so I wouldn't mind trying to keep track of the information and keeping an updated list for posting here.
Any objections?
Izzy
planwerk

Re: FAQ - List of infected or possibly infected plants

Post by planwerk »

One of my customers reported of "Twilight", badly infected in a gardencenter in Germany. Ithink it wasn't on the list so far, was it?
Seebruck, Chiemsee, Germany
Zone 6b (526 m above sealevel, 1,5 m above lakelevel ;-) )

"Ein Leben ohne Hosta ist ein Irrtum"
frei nach Karl Foerster
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

I probably need to update the list, but yes, Twilight is often infected with HVX.

Part of the reason that I stopped updating the list was that it really wasn't serving much of a purpose any longer. Originally when there were just a handful of plants to be avoided it was fine to check the list and avoid those plants. But once the list reached about 20 plants it really became obsolete as a tool to prevent getting infected plants. :(
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

For the past five or six years I guess I was smart -- although I didn't know it at the time -- in not buying any new hostas, but in filling in my gardens with my seedlings. I've had Sum and Substance, Gold Standard and the Tiaras for at least ten years, and have seen nothing bad on them, so am I in the clear on those? I want to divide them, and sell divisions at the garden club sale, but I want to be sure they are OK. How worrisome! Phyllis
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Good question Phyllis. I would like to hear the answer also.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I just dug a 40 plus eye S&S and gave it to Pat.......it looked to be fine.......I hope so!
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Seems like I heard it said that Sum and Substance can look good for many years before it shows the virus. I received one from a client of my husbands last year and thought it would be safe because it was 5 years old, but it is in a pot and so hopefully it anything does turn up it will not infect the rest.

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi there,

10+ year old untouched plants should be fine. They would have been before the epidemic started. I would be extremely leery of a 5 year old sum and substance if you didn't know the original source. We haven't even sold Sum and Substance for quite a while, but finally have a virus free batch available this year that we started in 2008.
Rob
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by Rob »

About H. 'Corona'

I've had this plant in splendid isolation for a couple of years.
Most of the people I know have tossed it because rumor was there wasn't a single virus-free specimen around.
Bought it from Jan van den Top (Hostaworld) in Holland.
When it comes to plant hygiene, Jan is the most carefully organized nursery man I know.
He works methodically to exclude any virus infection. Has been doing so long before the whole HVX-thing began.
Has his plants tested on a regular base.

He said that H. 'Corona' sold at his nursery had been tested and are virus-free.
I haven't seen a single sign of infection on my plant up till now.

I know Marco Fransen from the Hosta Paradise does the same.

Glad I only bought from "safe" nursries.
Visit my garden on www.hostamill.be/ENG
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Bumping an ancient post, as this is still such a problem. Someone was asking if there was "a list."
New Topic Post Reply