FAQ - List of infected or possibly infected plants

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: FAQ - List of infected or possibly infected plants

Post by Chris_W »

Unfortunately I think "the list" is obsolete. Any hosta can have HVX, and the epidemic is getting worse these days with the loss of decent tissue culture sources. But even then we received HVX infected plants from Shady Oaks one year so TC isn't a guarantee either.

Preventing the spread by washing hands and tools constantly has to be ingrained into everyone's minds. And I wish that people simply knew more about it from the start. It should be a part of getting into hosta collecting: What is HVX... Education is really lacking. :(
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

That's what I told her. I sent her here to see some history of the epidemic.

As to education: preaching to the choir here! I still can't believe that the AHS website's "brochure" on HVX is a lame summary of a particular research project. As the world's largest hosta society, they should be the be-all and end-all for relevant information. Sigh. I'll hope to fry that fish after I finish next year's convention.

David
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Thanks for the bump.

I've got a question for Chris about whether symptoms show readily in 'Blue Cadet'. I'm quite sure that my own plant is clean, but for the last year I've been babysitting the plant that came out of my church hosta garden when it lost its shade last year and was dismantled. I don't know its history but I do know that they accepted plants from any source at one time for that garden. I've got it in a pot. If it's one that doesn't show symptoms I think I'll pitch it.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
New Topic Post Reply