Think mine has it too....

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

hummingbird
USDA Zone: 9b

Think mine has it too....

Post by hummingbird »

Well I took a few pics of one of my striptease plants and I'm thinking it doesn't look right. If it appears to you all it has a problem then I'll dispose of it and most likely the other clumps of her too. I don't want to have that variety around if it's such a threat to everything. To be quite honest Striptease to me isn't all that visually appealing so I can live with the answer if it's sickly. What better way to create space when I need all I can get :lol: . Ok here it goes....
Attachments
PICT0002.JPG
Image002.JPG
Image001.JPG
Last edited by hummingbird on Jun 29, 2005 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Friends are as elusive as rainbows"
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

just 2 more...
Attachments
PICT0008.JPG
PICT0006.JPG
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Rachel,

I don't see any evidence of HVX in any of these pictures. Looks like normal coloration with a little bit of streaking thrown in.

There is nothing at all showing that would lead me to believe this plant has the virus. If you've had it for a while I would say it is fine. If it was a newer purchase keep watching it, but so far so good :)
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

:hmm: Just when I was making mental notes as what to put in those empty spaces :lol: . Guess I'll have to keep them then, I really thought there was somthing wrong and this plant being the worse one becuz there was more varieation in the colors and some streaks. These I've had 4-5 yrs now so not new aquisitions, my eye is always watching though Chris, thanks for the quick reply and good news. :wink:
Richiegirl

Post by Richiegirl »

Chris, I posted this link in the Hosta Forum. Article on Striptease as Hosta of the Year ... by a U. of Wisconsin horticulturist. http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener ... ease05.htm

Check those leaves on the right. Those look like mine on the plant I've been watching. I have all of those leaf variations on the same plant. Is that normal for Striptease? In the same article, their pictures of the entire plant show leaves that are all the same ... very uniform.

Does Striptease fail to thrive when infected like some? Mine is so robust and this year the random white lines are very obvious and clear, but not always a straight line separating the center from the margin. The demarcation between the yellow (or chartreuse) center and the green outer margin is muddy on many of my Striptease's leaves, and there are a few small dark green marks in the center. How to know if those are the telltale virus "bleed" or a normal streak?

Richelle
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Richelle,

Striptease likes to sport so much that it can really have a lot of different looks to it.

Some dark green streaks to the center are normal. When it starts to get dark green, disconnected spotting along the veins that slowly fills itself in and eventually connects from vein to vein that's the virus. It is obvious once it happens and gets more pronounced as it matures.

If you aren't sure by this time of the year then you are probably safe. There are a lot of older Striptease that never had the virus. The infected plants we bought in 2003 didn't really start to show the spotting and oddness until the following summer. This spring they were very obvious, with the center looking just like an infected Gold Standard.
Attachments
Early infection and poor growth on Striptease
Early infection and poor growth on Striptease
Early infection on Striptease
Early infection on Striptease
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

I'm glad Rachel posted. My Striptease purchased in 2000 looks a lot like her but nothing like the pictures Chris posted. I do have a Gold Standard (2003), Janet (2004), and Captain Kirk (2003) that I'm watching.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Richiegirl

Post by Richiegirl »

Thanks, Chris! All the pictures and your explanation have convinced me that my Strip is probably OK. I'm keeping a close watch on it, however, because I got it right when all the bad ones started showing up on the market. This year, it's really leaped and is quite an eye-catcher in my garden. I would hate to see virus symptoms at this point!

Richelle
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Ditto what Peg said. This is helpful because I was worried about my Striptease, which looks like Rachel's. Thank goodness it looks nothing like what Chris posted!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
New Topic Post Reply