Does "Morse Code" have the virus?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Does "Morse Code" have the virus?

Post by Pandora »

I just saw it at a nursery I go to every year. The owner was so proud of it and I asked if it had been tested. She was clueless about the virus. I left and I may not go back. It also has a very well known name attached to it.

I haven't traded or bought last year and this year. I am about to give up for a while.

Has anyone seen it or know what's up?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I took a look at the pictures of Morse Code on the internet and I would say no, that coloration is not caused by the virus. The dashes of color are not confined to the veins, which would happen with the virus. This looks a lot like the speckling that we see in plants like Revolution and Lakeside Elfin Fire, and that coloration is not a virus, so I do not think that is the case here either.

We are putting together our orders for next year and they are very light on hostas. Hopefully we have enough unique plant stock of our own to keep going for a couple years so that we can continue to quarantine all the new things. Since we are finding a couple virused plants in our quarantine house each month it has proven very worthwhile to hold them for a while.
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Chris,
Thanks for such a quick and thorough explanation. You are really doing a great service to the public by being so conscientious and quarantining your plants.

I think it is good that your order for next year is light on hostas. I might just concentrate on companion plants next year.

:oops: Thanks for not mentioning that I was actually out at some other nursery. :lol: There is something about just walking among the plants on a beautiful day.
New Topic Post Reply