Pictures of HVX on Katherine Lewis

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Pictures of HVX on Katherine Lewis

Post by Chris_W »

As with other gold centered plants HVX shows up in Katherine Lewis as the darker color filling in along the veins. This is the early symptoms of the virus and I'm sure it will become more pronounced in time.
Attachments
Note the darker blue spots that follow the veins, especially near the ends.
Note the darker blue spots that follow the veins, especially near the ends.
The contrast and brightness have been adjusted in this picture to sharpen the symptoms.
The contrast and brightness have been adjusted in this picture to sharpen the symptoms.
Liselotte

Katherine Lewis

Post by Liselotte »

Chris, I wonder if the new leaves will show the virus. We had a nasty hail storm and Hostas are badly cut up. The damage is not as severe as it has been at other times but with 2 days of heavy rains, the leaves will probably look bad enough that it would be hard to tell if the virus was present.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Lisolette,

Usually the new leaves will show the virus too. In my plant the newer leaves are contorted and twisted, and are looking pretty much solid blue right now. If they grow I would expect them to show it too.

This is one plant out of a batch of 25 and none of the others are showing symptoms yet. If they are infected, which I suspect they are, they should show it next year for sure.

These came from Van Bloem Gardens this spring. Surprisingly nice sized, multiple eyed plants actually, so in the past these would have been for sale by now.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Chris, thanks for posting these pics. Happily, my KL doesn't look anything like this. I bought mine two years ago. It was in a two gallon pot and was so root bound it was crazy. It was so big that I was able to split it into thirds and then I split one of the chunks in half last year for trades. I just love this plant!

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Liselotte

Katherine Lewis

Post by Liselotte »

Thank you Chris! For now I can do nothing but wait and see. I received a batch of ten, just one eye per plant. Two of these have already reverted to all blue. They will be watched carefully.
This HVX is really starting to rule my life, I need a way out
:bd: :bd: :bd:
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Thanks Chris , Ill check my KL tomorrow. I also bought one multi eyed and big and pretty, so I need to keep an eye on it.
New Topic Post Reply