Chris, could this be HXV or ???

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

gljo

Chris, could this be HXV or ???

Post by gljo »

Am I paranoid or what? This is a Lakeside Looking Glass that just looks kinda odd along the veins. I have 2 separate plants, one like this and one darker, more solid green. They are planted about 15 feet apart, this one under the pines and the other, out on the edge of the garden where it probably gets more light. They were purchased as plugs, about 3 years ago, so have never been divided. Two plugs were planted in each hole. I dug this one up, thinking of giving it to a co-worker, but don’t want to risk it if it could be the virus!

Does it look like HXV or am I being paranoid?

Thanks!
gljo
Attachments
MVC-002S.JPG
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

No, it isn't virus. This is caused by a nutrient deficiency, usually a shortage of Iron or Magnesium in the leaves. Ironite or Epsom Salts can be used to darken them up, and both are best applied as a foliar spray.

This look can occur in soils with a high pH or when there might be an abundance of Calcium in the soil or your water. Calcium will displace the Iron and Magnesium and when the pH is high those elements won't be soluble so the roots won't be able to take them up and you get this look. Iron deficiency tends to cause a general yellowing but magnesium more often causes light color just between the veins.

I found Ironite in a ready to use, hose end sprayer bottle last year and use it to spray down the dark leaved plants to help darken them. Like I said, just spray the leaves. The soil probably isn't lacking in those elements, so adding extra to the soil tends to be a waste.

Hope that helps!

Chris
gljo

Post by gljo »

Thanks, Chris. That was easy. Glad to know it isn't something awful. I will have to look around for the Ironite spray stuff!

Now, can you identify the weed I have posted in the gardening discussion forum?? :wink:

Thanks again!

gljo
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

No, sorry about the weed. I've seen it before but don't know what it is ;)
New Topic Post Reply