Striptease email

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Striptease email

Post by Tigger »

Posted to the Hosta Phoenix email robin. I have removed the name of the writer. My response is listed below.
Sent: Jul 11, 2005 4:08 PM
To: thehostaforum@thegardensite.com
Subject: [Phoenix Hosta] Striptease - Hosta Virus X

Yesterday I saw a Striptease that looked like it had hosta virus X. In looking at the hosta library photograph, I still am highly suspicious. The plant was growing well, and the owner said the mottling was the same as last season.

However, another grower who saw the hosta said that there is a mottled form of Striptease that is being sold as ?Aggrata? Aggrauta? that is not infected with the virus.

Can someone please comment.

Be more than highly suspicious. Be adamant that any Striptease that looks virused, is virused. And a whole lot of Striptease plants that don't look virused are as well.

Such a pity that this fate befall a designated Hosta of the Year. Lots of people have ended up buying plants that could make their entire hosta gardens sick, despite the efforts of many hosta growers to get infected and potentially infected stock pulled and destroyed.

David T
(playing it safe, because, well, shouldn't I?)
Any further comments? Anyone else heard of this 'Aggrauta?'
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

The writer now says that Kmart may be selling virused Striptease as 'Abigarrado' (which in Spanish means mottled).
New Topic Post Reply