Is this rampant HVX?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Arlene

Is this rampant HVX?

Post by Arlene »

These are pics I took of some Sum & Substance -- found at a local nursery earlier today.

I'm assuming that this is what rampant HVX looks like on S&S -- correct? The last pic is earlier infection, I assume. These were three plants among perhaps 20 very large S&S, all jammed up together in a triple row.

If it's HVX, I'll print off info from the forum and make an appointment to talk to the nursery owner. They have maybe 200 large hostas altogether -- and I want to be sure of myself before approaching him.

My apologies for the out-of-focus pics -- I was trying to take them without being seen, and it's a new camera, so I didn't do very well!

Arlene

Last edited by Arlene on Jul 12, 2005 6:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Arlene,

The pictures don't show up because the links don't end in a picture file, but I opened it in a new window and yes, that is HVX. BAD cases of HVX. :(
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

Thanks, Chris . . . I was pretty sure that's what I was seeing -- but I hadn't seen HVX in real life before, just in pictures. Just two of the plants were like the "very bad" pictures, but they all had the same supplier on the tags -- American Nursery Products?? I think that's what it was.

I have to figure out how to do pictures on this forum . . . I used the technique used on a different forum but it didn't work. My pictures are hosted on Shutterfly -- I'll see if I can figure it out.

Arlene
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

hi Arlene,

Your links must end in an image file, such as .jpg

The links you posted don't seem to be complete, but the tags are right, starting with [img]and%20ending%20with[/img]

Good luck talking to the nursery owners.

Chris
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

I hope you can post the pictures, I am curious about what you seen in the Nursery. I seen one at our local nursery too.
Lucille
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

My pictures are stored on Shutterfly. What I've put into the IMG brackets is the URL address found in picture properties, which doesn't have a .jpeg suffix. The title of the picture has a .jpeg but I tried using that, too, and it didn't work either -- it's not a URL.

Shutterfly has a password -- is that the problem?

Lucille, I'll email you a way to view the pictures on Shutterfly. If anyone else wants to see them, let me know and I'll do a "share pictures" for you.

Arlene
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Arlene,

Yup, the password must be the problem.

If you can email the pictures to me I'll post them for you, though. Would love to see them all myself!

chris@perennialnursery.com

or let me know what needs to be done for you to share the pictures with me :)
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

You should get an email from Shutterfly very soon. I think when I go back to talk to the owner I may try to get pics that are more in focus -- maybe even ask his permission!!

I'll email them as attachments also . . .
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Here they are. Hard to believe that a nursery owner would not notice this and not realize something was wrong, even if they had no idea about viruses...
Attachments
S&S-HVX-Myers-7-05-pic1.jpg
S&S-HVX-Myers-7-05-pic-3.jpg
S&S-HVX-Myers-7-05-pic-2.jpg
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

Thanks, Chris!

I thought the same thing . . . only two were truly awful, but others had the initial symptoms. And the awful ones were so obvious. I think he's more of a tree guy than hosta . . . but that's no excuse. Anyway, we'll see what his response is to my 13-page presentation!

arlene
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

You go girl! Those are nasty looking! I wouldn't want to touch them, even if I didn't know about HVX! Ucky!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Holy cow!! I expected the pics to look bad, but that is awful!!!! How could a nursery owner , even one without much knowledge of HVX, not know that something was wrong with those plants? Good luck dealing with them.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply