Destoying infected hostas??

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

wingnut

Destoying infected hostas??

Post by wingnut »

Chris, I know you said something about destoying some plants that were infected in another post and you and I have discussed the Kathyrn Lewis with HVX, mine is now showing blue spots in the center of new growth. How do I destoy it? Do I burn it,weed killer it ??? :???: and what to do with the dirt that surrounds it....(still in its own pot) and it sat on my porch next to several other hostas still in pots. What to do with those? :cry:
Attachments
HVX kathryn lewis.JPG
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

:( That does look a little bit like HVX :(

The good news is that if you haven't cut into the leaves or the crown you would not have spread it. The virus does not spread by close contact nor does it spread in the soil or by rain water.

The only times the virus will spread is when a part of the hosta is cut or damaged and then comes in direct contact with the damaged part of another plant. It can be spread when plants are divided, leaves are cut down, scapes are cut down, etc. Hail cutting into one leaf then another could spread it in theory. I might even be spread by grazing animals, although we don't know that for sure.

Dr. Lockhart recommended putting the hosta on a tarp out in the sun until it dries out completely then throw it away. In the case of a potted hosta, I would double wrap it in black plastic, leave it in the sun for a week or two, then throw it away in the trash. In my experience roundup doesn't kill hostas very easily, so if you went that route I would try something like Spectracide "triplestrike" and spray it really good.

I hope that helps,

Chris
New Topic Post Reply