Some people just don't care...

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

mooie

Some people just don't care...

Post by mooie »

Was browsing eBay before I came here and saw the same seller I had some trouble with earlier with new listings. Both 'Lunacy' and 'Walden' are listed again. Can people not learn? Or they just don't care? And honestly, if the guy would take just another two minutes or so and explain that these plants were virused, I probably wouldn't get so ticked off. But it's all money with him I think. Woe to the person who is inexperienced and just wants something 'different' and doesn't know how to handle it. I did write to the bidder and ask if they they knew how to handle a virused hosta. Hope they do! Can't wait for my next threatening letter from the seller. :o

mooie
~Imagine~
Sherri

Post by Sherri »

After reading this post, I went and seached Ebay for 'Lunacy'. To my dismay, this is the person I recently purchased my much coveted 'Venus' from.

(Thank goodness I decided to pot her up rather than plant her in the ground!!!)

I sent the seller a lengthy email about the virus and the risk to the plant he sent me. I certainly hope that I won't get any threats in return.

I don't get it! Based on the sheer number of varieties this person sells and that he claims to sell OS only, he must be a hosta lover. How could he willingly undermine his own business? His own passion? :hmm:
Sherri
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

I also sent the bidder a message to make sure he/she understands that the hosta is virused. Do you suppose I'll get a threatening letter also? :oops: :wink:
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

That is very surprising that they posted these exact same plants again. Some people are more concerned about making the sale than selling healthy plants I guess.
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

I really think it's all about the money. I dont know ALOT about the virus, but I'm learning, and pretty much know what to look for when looking for hostas. I came across a guy awhile back at a Farmer's Market, selling hostas. He had one that caught my eye. I checked it out real good. Then asked him about the splotchyness in the leaves. "Yeh, aint that cool?" :o "NO!!! IT AINT COOL!!!!!!! That hosta looks virused to me!!!" ... "Huh? The other one is just like it."... "Yeah, they BOTH look virused" .... "Huh? What's that?".... "You've never heard of it?".... "No"... "Well... if you ask me, you better check into it. If their virused, and you sell those....." And I went on to explain to him about it spreading to other plants. And a little later, saw someone walking away with both plants. :evil: :roll:
The Dumb @ss was there the next week with more plants that looked bad :evil:
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
Sherri

Post by Sherri »

Well...<gulp>....I got a response from the seller of my 'Venus'. He told me not to worry as my venus was field grown and 'Lunacy' is in a pot. He said he is a very sanitary nurseryman.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that one, but I just couldn't let it go. I wrote back asking him to please reconsider selling this plant. I begged him actually and I sent him a link to the AHS position statement on HVX and a link to Hosta Library HVX alert to the high bidder. I wrestled with myself on that but I know it was the "right" thing to do. I'd want someone to do that for me. Two weeks ago I was vaguely aware that there were viruses out there, I had no idea of the magnitude. I easily could have been one of the dupes who purchased and spread the virus. I suppose I still may have. I'm watching a GS and ST closely right now.

I hope this man doesn't decide to threaten me. I mean him no real ill-will but I can't keep my mouth (fingers?) shut when it comes to something that could totally kill my hobby for me!
Sherri
mooie

Post by mooie »

Sherry, I'm glad you made the attempt to correct the seller. Given the fact that he relisted the same virused varieties shows he has no integrity as a nurseryman, no matter how sanitary he is. :???: :evil: To my knowledge, no one has meant him any ill will in their correspondence with him. I certainly didn't when I first approached him about the other listings. But when he pulled the auctions, is when the not so nice reply letter came from him. I would not worry about him, he can't do anything to you. You only did what your conscience told you was the right thing to do. Ya done good! :D

mooie
~Imagine~
gljo

Post by gljo »

I find it interesting that the high bidder (yesterday) has now withdrawn his bid... perhaps because of people warning him of the virus? Someone else is high bidder now.

I have gotten a couple of plants from this seller in the past, but have decided to boycott his auctions because of his stand on the virus problem. I just don't need anything he has to offer if he's not going to take the virus problem seriously, especially after so many people have warned/mentioned it to him. I would rather spend my $$ with someone that has a better sense of right and wrong. There are plenty more sellers out there who would be willing to do the right thing and destroy this diseased plant instead of trying to make a buck on it.

For only $20.50, you would think he'd be willing to MAKE SURE the virus would not be spread.

gljo
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

I don't know much about ebay, but can't u write to the owner of ebay and tell them about this person selling virused plants? I don't know if ebay has a rule about people having to sell healthy plants or not, but maybe this person could be banned from selling anymore on ebay?

Debbie

New Topic Post Reply