Is there a list of "safe" hosta ----Chris????

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Hosta Lady of Anoka

Is there a list of "safe" hosta ----Chris????

Post by Hosta Lady of Anoka »

Have you worked up a list of "safe" hosta to purchase BR for next spring and which supplier to use....and also TC hosta. I know Dr. Lockhart published a list of hosta that seldom tested for HVX. I am concerned about next years orders......
Hosta Lady of Anoka
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

So far it seems that TC hosta are safe, but I would still be careful if those TC plants are on the highly infected list. Some Striptease with the virus has gotten into tissue culture, so that one I would avoid unless you are planning to have them tested for a couple years.

And unfortunately we really don't have a safe list for bare root items. Ask your suppliers what they are doing about the virus. Their reply will help you decide, but even then be careful.

If you are going to purchase bare root I would not sell them right away. We have always held back much of the bare root stock from most growers to check for nematodes, but this year we quarantined for HVX too and will keep many of the plants in quarantine through next year too. We are learning that it takes about 2 years to see the virus in an infected batch, sometimes much longer. And we are sending samples out this week for testing - so keep an eye on the forum for surprises next week...
New Topic Post Reply