Symptoms of HVX on hosta with more texture to leaves?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

DryGulch

Symptoms of HVX on hosta with more texture to leaves?

Post by DryGulch »

Chris and fellow hosta-addicts,

I have seen a lot of photos of HVX on hosta with variegation and leaves that do not have a lot of substance to them.

I have also heard that some hosta may be more resistant to the virus. Does that mean it is just going to take longer for them to break down?

I have some Krossa Regal in pots that have not shown the vigor I expected from the get-go, considering the size of the crowns and eyes. The leaves appear a little stressed, taking on a Praying Hands-look, more strappy, narrower.

Yesterday, while watering, I notice a circular lightening of the blue coloring in one. It is circular and splotchy marking does not look like an iron deficiency (Anyway,I fertilize with an Osmocote with trace minerals each spring on the soil.). It is very faint, and I doubt anyone without concerns about disease in a hosta would have seen it.

Darn it for not having a digi-camera, but it does not appear to be insect damage either. Any new leaves on this plant have not yet taken on the mature coloration and appear "normal".

Are there any pictures out there of HVX-infected Krossa Regal (or a similar plant) someone can post? I am guessing it might be some sort of virus anyway.

I have quarantined these Krossa and will talk to the supplier and will let you know what I find out. I had the HVX conversation with them when I bought them in April and they seemed aware of HVX and were visually checking for it. These (for the most part) single-eye dormant crowns came to me washed, but did not appear to have been cut. I doubt they were tissue cultured.

Rachelle
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

Hello, this is a fellow Hosta Addict, and I just noticed yesterday that one of my Krossa Regal had the same marking as yours -a circle of yellow coloring, but they are vigurous and in the ground, for several years. so I am most anxious to hear what this is.
Lucille
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

You can find picture of Regal Splendor here:

viewtopic.php?t=35099

And I've attached a picture of a virused Regal Splendor purchased at Lowe's that you could compare to your Krossa Regal.
Attachments
krossaregal.jpg
Last edited by Chris_W on Jul 20, 2005 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DryGulch

Chris, thanks for the redirect

Post by DryGulch »

I had done a search, here at Hallson and the www in general, had not found a picture. Thanks for the pictures. I think having pictures of different sorts of hosta with the virus is important, especially for people with just a few hosta that do not want to resort to testing.

I am pretty sure the Krossa has it.

I had been watching them all spring because of their apparent lack of vigor. The seemingly more glaucus and in appearance more like Praying Hands. They were slow to leaf out as well.

I will take pictures before I destroy them and eventually get them posted. I think these pictures will be especially insightful because of the apparent early stage of the virus as visible in this particular plant.

Thanks again, Chris.

By the way there is a great addition to the hosta library on HVX myths and fact by Falstad.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

I saw the same symptom that you did - that the leaves were very elongated compared to our other Regal Splendors. That alone isn't enough to make a determination but it makes you stop and take a closer look...
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

My Krossa Regal does not look like that, it has a small circle of pale yellow dotted markings. And Like I said very vigorus. But being as how I had the one Sum and Substance with the virus last year, I am always looking and I think I will just destroy this to be on the safe side.
Lucille
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Lucille,

The round circles don't sound like HVX to me. If you can get a picture I'm sure we could help diagnose it. I would hate for you to destroy a plant unnecessarily. :(
New Topic Post Reply