Bob is my HERO!!!

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Sherri

Bob is my HERO!!!

Post by Sherri »

Major Kudos to Bob Axmear at HostaLibrary.Org!!

After seeing virused plants listed on eBay, I emailed him yesterday and asked if it were possible to make a stronger statement on the library photo page of any variety that is known to be named virus. Not only has he done it ALREADY but he added a list of known and probable infected varieties to the HVX warning.

Since many sellers link to the HL instead of posting their own photos, buyers will now see a strong warning. Check out the new page for H. 'Lunacy': http://www.hostalibrary.org/l/l.html

Thanks to Bob!! Hopefully this will give great pause to those who would still continue to sell these plants!
Sherri
Minnow
USDA Zone: 6
Location: Henderson County 35 19' 12.15" N 82 35' 40.40" W Elevation2143

Post by Minnow »

:eek: But...the question is will this really keep persons from purchasing these known to be infected hosta?
Elizabeth

No man needs a vacation as bad as the man who has just had one.
Candy

Nice Work Sherri !

Post by Candy »

Will it stop others from selling a virused plant...no
Will it stop others from buying a virused plant...no
But eventually, with enough victories as this, the word will get out. Grass roots efforts really do work...we all need to take the responsibility to carry on the great work that Chris has started.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

That really is fantastic!

I've read a few comments about how this virus is no big deal, doesn't kill the plant, is not that easy to spread in the home garden... But why should we spend our hard earned money on a hosta just to find out that a plant is diseased? When you bought that Striptease or Guacamole or Sum & Substance you bought it for it's own beautiful coloring or form or growth habit and not for some ugly mottled look or to get a plant with decreased vigor. When you buy a plant you expect it to be healthy and unfortunately dismissing the whole issue shouldn't be an option.

This will really help when it comes to people thinking to buy a plant like this, especially when sellers link directly to that page to market their items.

Great suggestion Sherri!
janet

Post by janet »

Good Job, Sherri! What a great idea!

Just out of curiosity, does the AHS continue to register hosta that show signs of HVX (or other viruses for that matter)? I mean, if 'Leopard Frog' and 'Eternal Father' were submitted for registration today, would there be any requirement to prove they are not sick?
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

:beer: Sherry, applause, applause for YOU for this great idea and for Bob who implemented it so quickly! This is wonderful!! I agree with Candy that grass roots efforts do work and that we all must maintain our vigilence and continue to spread the message.

I have seen the comments made by people... that the virus is no big deal, that its not a gardener's worry (it could easily become a gardener's nightmare!), yadda, yadda, yadda. The complacency of some have me extremely worried and the lure of the almighty dollar for others also has me worried! Its hard to imagine that the virus is already this rampant in wholesalers, nurseries, big box stores, and garden centers and most of the nurseries, big box stores and nurseries are not/were not even aware of the virus.

I think its time for the entire gardening community to start worrying!!
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
mooie

Post by mooie »

Sherry, I can't imagine anyone doing a better job than what you just did! :D I'm very proud of you! What an excellent idea! And many thanks to Bob Ax also. What he does for hosta people....well...it goes beyond description! :o
Its hard to imagine that the virus is already this rampant in wholesalers, nurseries, big box stores, and garden centers and most of the nurseries, big box stores and nurseries are not/were not even aware of the virus.
What's worse with this statement is that not only are those people/stores guilty and many in an innocent way of sellling virused hosta, is to have a seller on an open sales platform selling known virused plants with little or no warning. But now that this is in effect at the hosta library, I really think this will stop...... (key words...think it will)

Thanks Sherry!

mooie
~Imagine~
Sherri

Post by Sherri »

<blushing> I didn't really do anything but ask. I don't know Bob, and I certainly didn't expect this kind of immediate response. He's been like a celebrity in my mind...he's like....The Hosta god. :0)
Sherri
New Topic Post Reply