Oh, NO Walden is back!!!!!!

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Hosta Lady of Anoka

Oh, NO Walden is back!!!!!!

Post by Hosta Lady of Anoka »

Just saw Walden made a comeback on ebay. Another seller...

He did not link to HostaLibrary........

Hosta Lady of Anoka
Hosta Lady of Anoka

Sent the seller an email. I was planning on bidding on several of his other Hosta. Received a very nice response. He said he grows his virus hosta in a different location and bleaches all tools. Said he had too much invested to "take any chances"....Also said he sends info about HVX to the buyers of any know HVX Hosta variety.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Sorry, but that response is bad news. As a grower he should not be growing and definitely should not be selling virused plants. I would find out what state he is in and alert the Dept of Agriculture. Any grower knowingly selling virus infected plants should be shut down.

If you have other bids with this person I would cancel them.
Hosta Lady of Anoka

Just checked....cedarville, NJ don't know if I should post his Ebay ID......

How does one contact the Dept of Ag in NJ??
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

I just took a look and the person who has this auction was selling mottled Gold Standard last year too, and I think he has posted to the forum before as well. I'm really surprised, after what we know a year later, that he is still selling virused plants.

Maybe he will see this and have a chance to reply.
janet

Post by janet »

jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
wholyhosta

Post by wholyhosta »

Chris

Is this the hosta Walden that is being referred to in the first post?

I found it for sale at a nursery in NC- Jones Nursery. They have introduced quite a few hostas into the market, some nice one, like Fat Cheeks.

Walden looks a little strange. They describe it as looking like bleach has been splashed on the leaves. Looks virused.

What do you think?

Brenda
Brenda B- z7b GA
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Brenda,

I couldn't find anything on the net about Jones Nursery but the description of bleached leaves sure sounds like a plant infected with Hosta Virus X. When they get too much sun the thinner portions of the leaves look like bleach was spilled on them.

If Jones Nursery is offering Walden for sale they need to learn about HVX. Maybe you could direct them here for more info.
New Topic Post Reply