Warning about Hosta 'Revolution'

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Warning about Hosta 'Revolution'

Post by Chris_W »

Last year we received Hosta 'Revolution' from 4 vendors and we tested them for HVX. One of the 4 batches tested positive, but showed no visible symptoms. We destroyed that batch.

This year we sampled from the remaining 3 batchs (after not selling any of them this year) and one came back positive. They STILL do not show symptoms.

As has occurred in the past, plants that were infected with the virus tested positive but didn't show symptoms until after 2 years of infection, so I bet Revolution will show symptoms next year.

The suspect plants came from 2 different sellers in Holland.

So beware of HVX in Hosta 'Revolution'.
mooie

Post by mooie »

Who were the two sellers Chris?

mooie
~Imagine~
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I got a Revolution in a trade several years ago , so I hope mine will be virus-free. Sorry to hear about all the ones you lost , Chris. How heartbreaking! :(
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

One seller was Van Bloem Gardens. The other seller I don't know because we mixed two of the batches, but they came from either DeVroomen or Darwin Plants.

This contamination of Revolution seems recent and only seemed to occur in export plants from Holland. Plants from a few years ago were probably just fine.
New Topic Post Reply