Brenda's Beauty

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

PeggyC

Brenda's Beauty

Post by PeggyC »

Chris, PeggyB was telling me that there was a conversation about Brenda's Beauty and that it is virused but not with HVX. Does this look like its virused? Thanks!
Attachments
BrendasBeauty.jpg
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Peg....

I know, pretty scary since I mailed out BB's to a few people....I will try and get a better shot of mine tomorrow...
Attachments
s 135.jpg
s 136.jpg
mooie

Post by mooie »

hmmmmmmmmm....I dunno. :hmm: Mine is about 4-5 yrs old now, and has always looked like that late in the summer when it loses it's spring color. I thought that's just the way it was sposed to look. I have always thought that this was one plant that definitely looked it's best in the early season. Hope it's not a sick one. :o

mooie
~Imagine~
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

After hearing that conversation I had to come home and immediately look at my BB. And yes....I see similar leaves, but I ,too, assumed that this was normal for BB to change colors like this later in the season. Now you all have me worried since I sent one to someone earlier this year in a trade!! So my question is......when this plant emerges and unfurls next year, if it is virused, will it show these markings right away? If it waits and changes as the season goes on does that mean it's not virused?
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Janet had a Dylan's Dilly near Brenda's Beauty and it showed this similar light colored spotting. She didn't notice it on Brenda's Beauty until later. Hopefully she can chime in and share with us, but we had her Dylan's Dilly tested and Dr. Lockhart said that it contained spherical virus particles that he had not seen before and could not readily identify.

Here is a picture of it on Dylan's Dilly.

It may turn out that Brenda's Beauty is carrying a virus that hadn't been identified before :(
Attachments
Pictures from Janet.  The rounded spotting is similar to the picture of Brenda's Beauty
Pictures from Janet. The rounded spotting is similar to the picture of Brenda's Beauty
DylanD 2005 07_09 013b.jpg
New Topic Post Reply