PUDC a victim?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

wholyhosta

PUDC a victim?

Post by wholyhosta »

This doesn't look exactly like HVX on my H. Pineapple Unside Down Cake. Is this the normal coloration on this hosta this late in the summer- does anyone know?

The darker coloration in between the veins but it could fool someone who doesn't know! Like me, sometimes!!!!!

Brenda B- z7b GA
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Brenda,

Pineapple Upsidedown Cake goes through normal color changes during the summer where you will often see dark color between the veins. Paul's Glory and Gold Standard - even Striptease - do this too.

Many PUDC have been tested by me and others and it has never come back as having the virus. The main reason I was testing mine was because I received them from Holland, but 2 years in a row they have been negative. :)

Hope that helps!

Chris
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

So ,Chris, ......does Brenda's Beauty go through this seasonal color change as well? And I don't know if you saw my question on the BB post, but if a hosta has HVX and you see the signs this year, will they appear right away in the new flush of leaves when it unfurls in the spring ? I'm worried about my BB since someone brought up that they thought there's was virused.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Joan,

I haven't grown Brenda's Beauty, but from what I've seen I think it needs more testing. It isn't HVX, but it might be infected with a different virus.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Okay...thanks , Chris. I was looking at the pics of BB at the Hosta Library and in the 3rd pic I see some of the color changes in the leaves that I am seeing in mine. I'm hoping this is normal for it, but will keep a close eye on it just in case.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
wholyhosta

Post by wholyhosta »

Hey, Chris, thanks for the reassurance, altho I kinda talked myself into knowing everything is okey by the end of my post but it's nice to get the expert opinion

Congratson appearing in the Hosta Journal!! Brenda
Brenda B- z7b GA
New Topic Post Reply