HVX and insects

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

janet

HVX and insects

Post by janet »

I know we have covered this before, and I apologize. However, a recent reference to the AHS Virus Policy Statement paraphrased them as stating that HVX can be spread by insects and animals. It is my interpretation of the policy as written, that they are talking, at that point, about viruses IN GENERAL, not specifically HVX. http://www.hosta.org/About_Hosta/pests_ ... tm#Viruses

At any rate, a search of this forum reveals that grdnnkd asked Dr. Lockhart specifically about the spread of HVX and his response was this: "Hosta virus X (HVX) is spread when sap from an infected plant enters a wounded surface of a healthy plant. No infection will occur if the leaf surface is uninjured because the virus is unable to penetrate the surface. The virus can therefore be spread when sap from an infected plant contaminates tools or fingers and then comes into contact with a wounded surface of a healthy plant during cutting or handling. The virus cannot be spread through water or by insects. I hope that this answers your questions. If not, please let me know." (emphasis mine) His word is good enough for me until further studies are done.

My question is, how do we knock down the panic that is starting about insect (and slug) spread of HVX when the AHS appears to be reinforcing the idea? Certainly no one is going to take my word over theirs!
jd in nh
janet's list
It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others. --John Andrew Holmes
DryGulch

virus spread

Post by DryGulch »

I also remember reading that the Dutch plant inspectors did "research" that suggests the virus is only spread by "mechanical" means.

However, while I can't see the virus being spread by bees pollinating; I could see the slimy slug thing tranfering the virus from one plant in your yard to another.

I think deer and slugs could be to HVX what drug addicts sharing a needle is to HIV.

h
Bill Meyer

Post by Bill Meyer »

Hi Everyone,
Dr. Lockhart considers it highly unlikely that HVX can be spread by insects. Other members of the Potexvirus genus cannot. While this isn't provenbeyond a shadow of a doubt, it is extremely unlikely. Other viruses that can be spread by nematodes and thrips and such have different genetic structures. Normally in these cases viruses are killed by digestive fluid and such in the feeding insects, or cannot live outside the host for long.

He has mentioned that deer could move sap with viable HVX in it from plant to plant without killing the virus.

There is no good reason to keep infected plants around. Viruses evolved to spread and that and making more of themselves is about all they do. Given any opportunity they will do both as much as they can. Keeping infected hostas will only result in time in spreading the virus to other hostas, so why keep them around?
...........Bill Meyer
If you thought the auction was fun, come to the meeting!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I think the concern for me is not in keeping plants known to have the virus or that I suspect of having the virus. If I had any they would be gone. [I have one that has looked 'different' this year, but I don't think it's HVX. If it looks the same next year I'll dispose of it, but I think it was affected by the cold weather early this spring.] The concern is with the plants that so far have exhibited no signs of the virus. As Chris has pointed out several times, plants can take several years to show any signs of having HVX.

I consider myself very fortunate. To date I've seen no signs of any of my hostas showing HVX symptoms. But I only began collecting in 2002 & bought everything in sight that I didn't have in 2002 & 2003. If I'm very lucky nothing will show up here.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
New Topic Post Reply