Striptease I've watched all summer ...

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Richiegirl

Striptease I've watched all summer ...

Post by Richiegirl »

I will try to attach the photos I took of my Strip, but haven't done this in such a long time, I don't know if it will work. If not, will try again later. Chris, can you or anyone else tell me if this otherwise healthy and robust Striptease is infected? Thank you!

Richelle
Attachments
Set141_03.jpg
Set141_02.jpg
Set141_01.jpg
Richiegirl

Help again!

Post by Richiegirl »

Well, no responses to my original post, but maybe someone can tell me if it's normal for Striptease to (sometimes?) have green streaks in the center yellow/white section of the leaf, some along a vein. And is it normal to have a little green bumpiness in some places, or does Striptease have a completely smooth leaf with nary a bump in sight? Also, when the plant is HVX infected, does it eventually look scraggly, and if so, does it take a while? Thanks for any help!

Richelle
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Richelle,

sorry, I missed your post!

The pictures are kind of fuzzy and hard to see, but from what I can see it looks like normal color variations. Striptease will definitely do that. A little bumping is normal too.

The virus doesn't cause much distortion in Striptease but after a couple years of infection it is unmistakable.

I certainly wouldn't throw this one out.

Hope that helps,

Chris
Richiegirl

Post by Richiegirl »

Thank you, Chris. The hosta is really beautiful where it is right now, and I sure hope it will be OK. Will be watching again next year.

Richelle
Liselotte

Striptease

Post by Liselotte »

Richelle, like your Striptease, mine shows some lines on the 2004 plants. The 2003 plants still look better. They are in pots for the second year in my 'Virus Alert!' isolation area.
Last year around this time, these plants looked a lot worse and leaves were tested by Dr. Lockhart. No virus was present, but since I learned that it can take years for the virus to be detected, I am watching ST for another year.
Although I was convinced my Aristocrats were all infected, I gave it a try, cut them back all the way, ( sterilizing the tools after each plant), now the new leaves are perfet. I will keep them in pots another year to make certain. (These plants were hit by a light late frost and them hail.)
There are still Katherine Lewis looking suspicious and I am waiting to hear more about El Nino with green dots in the margins. The center of the leaves are perfect.
New Topic Post Reply