? For Chris about Hosta virus

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

HostaIsland

? For Chris about Hosta virus

Post by HostaIsland »

Hi there,
Do you have any information about Q to Z wholesale supplier? Also I am very worried about this virus... I have over 400 varieties and I would hate to lose them all, Is there a testing kit we can buy?? How much??? Do you test for people????? Thanks for all the help you can give!
-=Hosta Island=-
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

I don't know how much testing Q & Z is doing, but I know they are aware of the virus.

We get our plants tested at the University of Minnesota. They developed the ELISA test so I have quite a bit of faith in their results. Some people have reported false positive tests but I've never had a problem with that. So far all of their positive tests have resulted in symptomatic plants in the future. Sometimes a year or longer afterwards, though.

Their address is:

Virus Testing Lab
495 Borlaug Hall
1991 Upper Buford Circle
Univ. of Minnesota
St. Paul, MN 55108

When you send leaves, cut them off and put them in a plastic bag. The leaves should not be wet or they will rot in the bag. Ziploc bags work great.

The price is $25 for the first sample and $5 for each additional. Try to send at least 2 symptomatic leaves. If you don't have 2 just send the one with the most symptoms.

It is possible to buy the kit to do the test yourself but personally I think it is very expensive and I wouldn't trust doing it myself. I also don't have any spare time for it!

Hope that helps!
HostaIsland

Thank you!

Post by HostaIsland »

THANK YOU!
Now I know why you don't have time, you reply so fast!
I will get on the couple that are starting to worry me.
Thanks again for all your help!
-=Hosta Island=-
New Topic Post Reply