Speed in whichi infected hosta show symptoms?

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Willowy

Speed in whichi infected hosta show symptoms?

Post by Willowy »

Hello Chris,
I recently read about Hosta Virus X for the first time. I was a little surprised that I just picked up on this topic in September because I am always surfing the web for hosta information....however, like many, I thought hostas were worry free except for slugs! I appreciate all the information and am using a flyer that you prepared to educate my garden club at the next meeting. My concern is this....I have had a Strip Tease for four years (my personal favorite). The plant looks fine all summer...however as it gets ready to go dormant (the last two weeks) there is discoloration along the veins in the white areas. Should I be worried. I have read that it can take a while for the virus to show up, however once it does, do you see the symptoms early in the season (i.e., middle of summer). My hosta collection is only 50 strong at the moment, which is small compared to some of the forum members. Also, normally I am very careful to purchase hosta that look perfect at the garden center... however I made an exception to that this summer for Maui Buttercups because this has been on my wish list for a couple of years. It looks horrible, not unlike some of the pictures I have seen, however I do not nomally purchase hosta from this particular garden center because their hosta always look bad. Have you heard any reports on Maui Buttercups? Thank you for all the information. At lease I know what to watch out for and look for in the future. And it is nice to know there is a mail order source that is being proactive and taking all the necessary precautions.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Welcome to the forums Willowy.

Dr. Lockhart of the University of Minnesota did a 3 year study where they intentionally infected hostas to see what would happen. Plants were repeatedly innoculated with the virus either by cutting into leaves that were sandwiched between two known virused hosta leaves, or by using a solution of virus & plant material along with some kind of abrasive material and rubbing it into the leaves. The abrasive technique didn't always work, but the method of cutting the leaves worked well according to his article in The Hosta Journal.

Some hostas showed visible symptoms just 17 days after being innoculated. Some never showed any symptoms but tested positive for the virus after a period of time, in some cases up to 3 years after being innoculated.

From what we've seen the general timeframe from infection to symptoms averages about 2 years. Some show it within a year. Others may be infected but never show it.

When we got Striptease from Holland in 2003 they looked fine. By mid 2004 they started to show some symptoms. By 2005 the majority were showing marked symptoms. The plants were harvested in 2002 and I believe that they were probably infected at harvest time.

Striptease shows some normal color variations and some green streaking in the center. If you have one with the virus you would know by now. You still want to be careful though.

Time will tell if a plant is virused. The best thing is to simply be careful with all purchases from the past few years. Don't dig or divide or cut or prune from one hosta to another unless you have cleaned your tools. That includes tools used to weed around your plants as it can spread by cutting roots.

Hopefully we will all get a handle on the virus soon, but it has been around so long without knowing about it that it will be hard to tell how bad it really is for a while. It may be that the virus will be around for a very long time :(

Hope that info helps.

Chris
New Topic Post Reply