Note about HVX/seeds/pollen

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Note about HVX/seeds/pollen

Post by Chris_W »

Just wanted to drop a quick note that you should NOT worry about HVX being transmitted by seed or pollen. I got to see Dr. Lockhart on Sunday at the hosta hybridizers meeting and he said that Hosta virus X does NOT spread by seed or by pollen.

Just in case anyone was wondering ;)
Mikky
USDA Zone: 6

Post by Mikky »

Thanks, Chris. That's great news! :D
Mikky
My website: Giboshi arekore
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Wonderful news!

I have my Katheryn Lewis in a separate part of the garden since you gave the warning that many of them are HVX infected. It hasn't shown any sign of HVX, but it was new last year and I know it can take a while for the symptoms to show.

Anyway, I had used the pollen to hand cross several times before I found out that it was on the watch list for HVX. Good to know I didn't infect anything else.

Also, the KL I have has several seed pods ripening. I guess I can start them this winter without fear. PHEW!

Thanks for keeping us informed Chris!

Alexa
Liselotte

seed and pollen o.k.

Post by Liselotte »

Thank you Chris! good news indeed!

As for Katherine Lewis, the plants look pretty bad, but somehow don't quite match the virus pictures. Earlier in the season Aristocrat looked about the same. I cut all 10 plants back and had them in pots under the roof. The new leafs are perfect.
As of now, only 4 varieties remain in isolation.
Katherine Lewis
Aristocrat
Striptease (tested negative last year)
El Nino ( leaves still looking good but margins have the green dotted look and until I know if this is normal, will keep them there.
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

really good to know - often wondered about this and have heard different things
New Topic Post Reply