HVX on Golden Tiara and So Sweet at Lowe's in Jackson, MI

Discuss Hosta Virus X and share pictures and information on this ever increasing threat to hosta growing.

Moderators: redcrx, Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

HVX on Golden Tiara and So Sweet at Lowe's in Jackson, MI

Post by Chris_W »

Lowe's had some very badly infected So Sweet. The Golden Tiara were in quarts and a lot harder to see, but they were stunted, had a very dull finish, and there was a slightly scaly pattern to the leaves. I bet it would be nearly impossible to convince anyone there that it was infected since it isn't as obvious as others.

It seems that Golden Tiara, So Sweet, and Gold Standard might be the most badly infected plants on the market among the more common hostas. At least they are the most commonly seen showing symptoms. I think in time that Patriot will be infected as much but unfortunately that one doesn't show symptoms as easily :(
jay dee

tiara

Post by jay dee »

I saw the same three plants infected at my local Lowe's yesterday. Basically, anything with lighter foliage was affected. The blues appeared fine and the other kind - you know, the green and white ones.

jay dee
Jim Soper

Pretty much the same here

Post by Jim Soper »

I was at the Lowe’s in Shawnee Kansas the other day, the Golden Tiara are really bad. They looked like someone had sponge painted dark green on the leaves. So Sweet was pretty deformed, and the Gold Standard were still green in the center, so I wouldn’t expect to see any symptoms on those yet. What was kind of scary was they had some nice looking Whirlwind, (normal wholesale size plus one year) but I seem to recall those being on the list of “infected in 2005 but not showing symptoms” They were priced about the going rate for wholesale Whirlwind divisions, so they must have gotten them cheap....
New Topic Post Reply